I Ordered a Hot Dog from Burger King and

Yes, I have no problem with ketchup on a hotdog. Now, my brats only get a hearty mustard. The standard US yellow mustard used to make me sick when I was a kid – haven’t tried it since.

5 Likes

Before refrigeration, mayonnaise is a good example of the sort of condiment that HAD to be whipped up in the moment, especially if you included eggs (which is a variety of the classic version).

6 Likes

COOKED tomatoes. The chemical process of heating unleashes a lot of good with tomatoes.

7 Likes

Mustard and sautéed red onions on mine (on NYC steamed dogs).

2 Likes

whipping up mayonnaise by hand was one of my least-favourite parts of culinary school, especially because after our training and test on it, they basically told me “No one does this anymore btw, use an immersion blender or a food processor!”

11 Likes

Indeed. One of the recipes I’d seen (and that looked really, really good) involved slicing tomatoes, drizzling with Olive Oil, dusting with salt and pepper, and roasting. All that goes in a blender and BOOM done.
So hungry now.

10 Likes

Traditional stock, made with roasted beef or chicken bones, uses tomato paste late in the roasting process specifically to take advantage of this effect as well. The roasted tomato paste (which itself is already concentrated) is basically like coating the bones in MSG before they go into the stock - you get a much deeper, richer, stronger beef/chicken flavour as a result.

11 Likes

Well, yeah that’s just common sense.

There’s not a lot I won’t eat, but mayo will make me retch, unless I’ve made it myself and consume it within 10 mins. After that a flavor develops that I find revolting.

3 Likes

One of my favorite things is stopping there (well, add some onions) and letting it marinade over-nite. One needs nice plump red tomaters sliced really thin with really thinly sliced unjuns as well. Our facilities manager used to do that for pot lucks.

4 Likes

So what do you put on your snags when you have a sausage sizzle?

These Americans are crazy. toc-toc-toc… :wink:

3 Likes

I believe it was on an episode of Top Chef where one of the contestants had to whip mayonnaise by hand. So consider yourself lucky that you learned to do it because there is a (admittedly absurdly small) possibility that the knowledge might be useful someday.

9 Likes

I’m half-aboriginal, quarter Polish, quarter Ukranian. That makes my preference for sausage toppings raw onion, saurkraut and a good, strong mustard.

12 Likes

The holy trinity of sausage condiments/toppings. Preach!

11 Likes

Cool. Which mob? Ya know, without getting too personal or nothing. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Great. Now, I’m hungry for a sausage with raw onion, saurkraut and a good, strong mustard. Because that sounds amazing.

10 Likes

Grand River Mohawk. Clan Turtle. A large part of my family still lives on the Six Nations Reserve just outside Brantford, Ontario, Canada.

11 Likes

Ahh. Northern hemisphere, rather than, like, all the various peoples round my way. Got it. :slight_smile: Slightly confused for a moment there.
There’s probably a better word, but the diversity of groups here makes if more than a little difficult to have a one-size-fits–none term which leaves local tribal names only. And that’s a whole other barrel of explanations. :slight_smile:

And at this point, I’m not even pretending to be on-topic. So I’ll leave this fine example of Aussie cuisine here.

11 Likes

Is that actually a hot dog? Or does it have a flavour closer to a sausage.

And damn this thread. I’m going to need to make hot dogs this weekend.

11 Likes

Not sure what the difference is. I mean footy-franks and sausages are interchangeable, right?

5 Likes

A Hot Dog differs from a sausage in that it is usually 1) cooked, 2) extremely finely ground compared to a sausage, 3) nitratre cured (or for “natural” ones, they tend to use celery extract) and 4) has a very unique blend of spices that make it taste like a hot dog vs a sausage.

The specific combination of spices lends itself very well to ketchup, as well as pickles or relish, IMHO.

8 Likes