I Ordered a Hot Dog from Burger King and

And you lost me. I’ve tried, oh, how I’ve tried, to like tomatoes, but I just can’t. And yet the rest sounds so delicious I feel like Wile Coyote, once again willing to pursue the tasty tomato Roadrunner.

Now I just hope the olive oil isn’t made by Acme.

2 Likes

I always pat the tomato until it’s very dry.

As to olive oil, I always go for reputable and proven oils (ones that don’t have rancid oil mixed in; that’s a problem).

2 Likes

So, I have a ketchup-related question. Is ketchup used regularly outside North America?

I’ve always sort of assumed the answer is no, but I’ve seen it substituted in every now and again for tomato paste in “ethnic” (read: non north-american) recipes, and I can’t help but wonder if that’s happening either because it’s actually used elsewhere, or because the other flavour notes in ketchup (tart & umami/savory) are being used to help replace a hard-to-find ingredient in western supermarkets.

1 Like

I can attest that it’s used in Moldova, but generally for “American style” things, like hamburgers or french fries. They save the mayonnaise for the pizza. :confused:

1 Like

On topic, is there a premium ketchup that’s not insanely sweet and more savory (while still being a little sweet)?

I liked the regular Heinz stuff when I was a kid. Now I don’t have the taste for sweet stuff. The Heinz yellow mustard is preferable to any ketchup I’ve found so far, and that stuff is pretty middle of the road.

1 Like

*shudder*

2 Likes

All kidding aside, some are Acme-ish, but are labeled to inspire trust. Googling should help identify the good stuff, but you never know; the mixes with good + rancid oil have been known to come from overseas, but I suspect the temptation to up profits is not just limited to foreign shores. (The really good stuff is green, and has a sort of peppery taste!)

1 Like

It looks very delicious. Greetings from me Agen Fiforlif Semarang. succes for You.

And the debate rages on!

2 Likes
5 Likes

My favorite pizza is black olive pineapple.

[ducks]

@anon75430791: if you have a Trader Joes near you, their ketchup is not very sweet and is kinda earthy.

6 Likes

Well, I hope you’ve cherished our friendship for now it is over.

7 Likes

Newly arrived condiment in our home today:

“Sandwich” replication forthcoming.

6 Likes

There we go.

Crown, 2oz patty, dill pickle slices, lettuce, minced onion, mac sauce, club, 2oz patty, cheese slice, lettuce, minced onion, mac sauce, heel.

I wish I’d had access to proper sesame seed buns but no dice.

Was surprisingly authentic in both texture and flavour. And not a drop of ketchup in sight.

11 Likes

I could not help myself; had to run the entire jingle through my head:

Two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun!

4 Likes

I am confuse. Is it not possible to buy 1,000 Island salad dressing in Canadia?

3 Likes

It’s not quite 1000 island sauce. It’s close, but much less sweet with a higher gherkin content.

I can (and have), recreated it pretty faithfully, but the point is, I don’t have to - I can just buy a bottle now :wink:

5 Likes

If someone tells me that pineapple on pizza is gross. Thats how I know they don’t have my alien genes in them.

Pineapple and pork on pizza is the best pizza.

1 Like

Uh. Mac sauce. If it’s done right. It has ketchup in it.

The real thing does not have ketchup in it. Tomatoes are not an ingredient. Just paprika and tumeric for colour.

3 Likes