I Ordered a Hot Dog from Burger King and

Brad: Okay, here’s your preparation stuff. You got your sliced tomatoes, shredded lettuce, secret sauce…

Arnold: What’s the secret sauce?

Brad: Thousand Island dressing. What’s the secret sauce at Bronco Burger?

Arnold: Ketchup and mayonnaise.

Brad: Gotcha.

Fast Times at Ridgemont High

8 Likes

Spoiler: invented in England

10 Likes

My Tía ran a cafeteria in Central America, and one day I visited for lunch. She was making a vat, like 10+ gallons of “salsa rosada” because that’s how much they went through during a lunch shift. I’m not sure what exactly it was used for, because once I learned that it was basically mayo and ketchup, I stuck with arroz y frijoles for lunch.

Actually, for a few months I lived with her and her family. There was never any food in the house, because they all cooked all day. So I was left to my own devices, which was fine because “salsa rosada”?!?!? nothankyouverymuch.

5 Likes

Yeah, here in Tijuana, I see street vendors buying bulk food items all the time, except condiments like ketchup.
The stuff down here never seems the same, and it slowly dawned on me that they’re making do by watering it down a bit to make it last longer.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

So Salad Sandwich Cream on hot dogs? Just kidding.

2 Likes

Anything is allowed on bad hot dogs.

Anything nicer than bad hot dogs should at least be a good ketchup or any given mustard.

3 Likes

And with this heretical statement, the flames of the condiment wars are fanned anew.

8 Likes

New find at the Asian market - Bulldog Tonkatsu sauce. Actually reminds me a lot of HP Sauce. Kind of fruity.

3 Likes

Today I learned that the man who Graham crackers are named after

warned that mustard and ketchup cause insanity

5 Likes

bask in the horror…

8 Likes

6 Likes

hd

FTFY

10 Likes

Please tell me that’s red licorice.

3 Likes

Yes! That is the way I have all my ‘dogs’.
Don’t Judge Me!
Mustard covers up the taste, Ketchup enhances it.
Jus’sayn

1 Like

Seen in Minneapolis this week, in the Rose Garden by Lake Harriet:

Here’s a better photo for the colors, which are the reason for the name:

https://www.weeksroses.com/product/ketchup-mustard/roses

(hmm, I thought the link would one-box, doesn’t seem to)

5 Likes

Surprisingly, Wikipedia was no help for an image, this time:

17%20AM

18%20PM

08%20PM

Now you’re just messing with me, Wikipedia!

4 Likes

Tonkatsu sauce is delicious!

Serous eats has a great recipe for it:

If you don’t have access to Mirin, just substitute a tablespoon of rice vinegar and a half teaspoon of sugar or so.

Great as an Asian-inspired HP sauce / Heinz 57 sauce replacement, but best served with tonkatsu, which is a breaded pork cutlet.

For anyone who does BBQ (or equivalent) sauce on hot dogs, give ’er a try!

6 Likes
1 Like