Trump the Chump (Part 1)

And from the comment thread below the article, I learned all the nicknames for the fearsome Democrats: Obozo, Hitlary, and the Sand Man. Why did I sully my eyes?

2 Likes

Because it makes their election loss even more entertaining?

Karl Rove’s election night 2012 Fox News meltdown over Ohio results was a classic. The Romney camp clearly didn’t have a concession speech written, so sure they were that they’d win.

“It’s a perplexing time for many of us right now.”

• Sarah Palin, after the 2012 election

Even Santorum’s concession speech when he dropped out of the race, has been described as the closest thing to a Republican-made “It Gets Better” video.

And let’s not forget how Donald Trump freaked out on Twitter after Obama’s re-election, calling for a “revolution” to “march on Washington.”

2 Likes

The good old days…

5 Likes

It’s so crazy that you could be behind in the polls and be 100% sure of your victory. Sitting in another country, it seemed obvious Obama was going to just coast to an easy win like many second term presidents do. When I heard the Republicans thought Romney was going to win I was confused. Polls said he would lose, he lost by basically the exact margin predicted.

I guess I know that many Republican politicians are quite detached from reality. It still shocked me how detached they were about this particular issue. What could have convinced them that things would turn out their way?

7 Likes

I guess you don’t REALLY understand how detached from reality they are! Truly, they do not understand that just because they want something doesn’t make it happen. They’re like toddlers…in so many ways.

3 Likes

Maybe take that link to the reverse racism thread?

2 Likes

I think it’s easy to think of a lot of their detachment as strategic. Like they “don’t believe” in climate change but really they just want their money from oil companies. Or they “had proof” that Hussein was stockpiling WMDs but really they just wanted the oil. You know, you just look at whatever bullshit they are spouting and think, “How is this connected to oil.”

But instead, sometimes you look at think, “Wait a minute, what if they really don’t believe in climate change out of sheer arrogance? What if they genuinely thought they were going to turn Iraq into a shining beacon in the Middle East to promote peace and democracy?” It’s like they are 100% sure of every whimsical idea that enters their heads.

5 Likes

He lost by the exact margin predicted by Nate Silver, while Rove’s own polls were giving different results. The fact that Silver was predicting a loss for Romney “proved” that Silver was wrong.

Rove’s goal was to be power broker through the money raised via his SuperPAC. To raise that money he needed to promise people a return on their investment. So Rove had to convince “donors” (investors, really) that Romney would win. Meaning telling them and the press over and over again that Romney would win, backed by his own poll results.

This election cycle all those donors backed Jeb and lost their investments a second time. Citizen’s United was supposed to be about stealing elections. Instead it’s about ripping off rich Republicans.

6 Likes

But they didn’t want oil from Iraq. Just the opposite actually.

The “liberated” Iraq was always going to remain a member of OPEC. Any cheap oil America would get, would never offset the oil burned by moving half a million soldiers - and their equipment, tanks helicopters, ships etc., half-way around the planet. REPEATEDLY, as troops were constantly rotated back home. And resupplying them from half-way around the world.

The Bush family - and their friends the House of Saud - are in the oil business. They don’t want cheap oil. The more expensive oil is, the more money they make.

Popular history tells us that Britain looted India. But in reality Britain lost money on India, and all her possessions. What was happening was the East India Company was looting the British treasury with the help of a few paid politicians.

Iraq was about looting the American treasury. Halliburton/KBR charge the government 15 million dollars to build a cement factory, then pay an Iraqi firm $80,000 (using Saddam’s confiscated funds) to build it. Entire cargo palettes of money - billions of dollars - missing. (That’s not an exaggeration. They really did lose track of actual cargo palettes of money worth billions of dollars.)

VP Cheney - former CEO of Halliburton/KBR and still owning plenty of stock in it - was made very rich indeed by his little war. It was a license to print money as long as the war lasted. Small wonder it lasted far longer than WWII.

11 Likes

Yeah, to be clear, when I say it was about “oil” I mean it was about the ability of friendly businesses (like Halliburton) to profit off Iraqi oil, not about getting cheaper oil for American citizens. That all makes sense to me - Cheney being an evil man willing to put the world at war to make money. When I hear they actually thought Romney would win, it makes me think things like, “Maybe none of this was about Machiavellian corruption, maybe this is just about profound stupidity.”

It’s almost like people with a lot of money have all that money because they were in the right place at the right time rather than because they have any idea what they are doing.

5 Likes

Or they chose the right parents.

As for sale-made wealth… It’s said that the skills needed to win an election are NOT the same skills needed to govern once you’ve won. I expect there’s a similar rule for self-made wealth: The skills needed to make it are not the same as the skills needed to invest it wisely.

3 Likes

You’ve noticed that Mr. Putin is rumoured <a href=wendy deng putin at DuckDuckGo>to be dating a certain someone who used to date another certain authoritarian scumbag someone…

2 Likes

I heartily endorse and encourage this behavior.

3 Likes

363 tonnes of cash were sent to Iraq…

2 Likes

To be clear, in the right place at the right time is more about the time and place they were born than the time or place of any other events in their lives.

Forklifts lifting their weight capacity in Benjamins and no one knows what happened to them.

6 Likes

It’s OK. We can just print more.

Or… In an alternative hellscape…

Trump bucks.

With Trump’s face on every bill.

1 Like

Norwegian artist Pøbel mutes Trump’s star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

8 Likes

with gifs: http://www.buzzfeed.com/stevenkanter/this-steak-made-by-donald-trump-just-shut-down-the-tasty-kit#.aaoa06Kor

11 Likes

Wait…Trump has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame? For what?

3 Likes
6 Likes