Trump the Chump (Part 1)

So, this hit my news feed.

Summary: Trump isnā€™t a child, heā€™s just the natural outcome of the plutocratic system of wealth-based impunity.

4 Likes
2 Likes

I donā€™t understand why he is doing this to a person on his own team. Seems completely counter-intuitive. Why doesnā€™t he just ask for his resignation?

2 Likes

Not since Andrew Johnson fired Edwin Stanton in 1867, triggering his own impeachment, has a president feuded so openly and bitterly with one of his own cabinet officials. Yet this is even stranger, since Stanton was a Lincoln appointee who was at political odds with Johnson; Sessions, however, is about as simpatico politically with Trump as anyone, and in fact provided much of the policy blueprint for the Trump administration

3 Likes

I read a pretty good defense yesterday about why Sessions is unlikely to go anywhere until heā€™s fired (sadly I canā€™t find the article right now). Basically heā€™s the only one actually getting stuff done and heā€™s a firm believer in Trumpā€™s agenda (even if he doesnā€™t believe in Trump himself). He is in a great position to push forth his ā€œtough on crimeā€ agenda so heā€™s choosing to take his licks.

3 Likes

Havenā€™t read the article yet, but maybe Trumpā€™s not firing him because he thinks it would make Trump look bad, after having hired him so recently. Wouldnā€™t be the first time his actions have been all about himself.

Could also just be another distracting smokescreen, diverting out attention from more serious shenanigans.

1 Like

Listening to local talk radio in the car this morning was like a weird warped window into another world that doesnā€™t actually exist. They had a bunch of political analysts on and the Republican (described as a guy with decades of experience, etc etc) was asked about why Trump is flailing on healthcare. He started off with, "Well, you gotta understand, heā€™s brilliant. I mean, everyone was worried about how heā€™d do, but heā€™s just amazing. The economy is booming, stocks are soaring, and our countryā€™s foreign policy couldnā€™t be better. His dialog on improving healthcare is great, it just needs a tiny bit of refining." I laughed out loud while driving.

7 Likes

Ah, I found the article I was referring to in my original post as to why Sessions is staying around despite the abuse from 45.

5 Likes

In a relatively small organization, where power is based on access to the ownerā€™s money, it might be a way of asserting dominance. ā€œIā€™m the boss and the rules donā€™t apply to me. You live up to my expectations, not the other way around. Everybody better kiss my ass at all times!ā€ Maybe.

Or, maybe this is just his schtick in front of the camera. Itā€™s what he did on The Apprentice, right? Why would anyone think his behavior in the White House would be any different?

Or, maybe itā€™s dementia. Maybe his brain is a boiling cauldron of insecurity and resentment. Maybe he canā€™t attribute these feelings to external sources in any rational way. Maybe he canā€™t keep track of who should hear these private thoughts and who should not.

This could all just be grandpa telling us about how horrible the doctors are at the nursing home, how the food is poisoned and somebody is listening to him through the walls.

1 Like

Iā€™ve probably said this in this thread before, but itā€™s seriously hard to have a five-year-old right now. I keep watching my kid do things and thinking, ā€œFuck, sheā€™s acting like Trump.ā€ I have to stop myself and remember that doing something like pushing to the front of a crowd doesnā€™t mean much about your underlying personality or who you will end up being when you are five. An ordinary person learns to cut that shit out.

6 Likes

Apparently 45 now ranks his presidentialness level at #2. Second only to good old Honest Abe.

2 Likes

He indulged in some straight-up white supremacist Daily Stormer fantasies to the Ohio crowd when promoting his take on immigration:

5 Likes

7 Likes

He does at all his rallies. He was only slightly less graphic in Poland, and the news was glued to his junk for that speech.

3 Likes
3 Likes

https://twitter.com/Ansel/status/889596818383814656

2 Likes

Such a git!

Probably afraid heā€™ll catch something.

4 Likes

Trump also repeated his promise to build a wall to stop drugs from coming across the border.

ā€œWeā€™ll build a good wall. Weā€™re going to build a real wall,ā€ Trump said. ā€œWeā€™re going to build a wall that works, and itā€™s going to have a huge impact on the inflow of drugs coming across.ā€

I thought the drugs were supposed to impact the wall?

2 Likes
3 Likes