Trump's "first 100 days" plan

I’ve seen this mentioned in a couple of threads before but I figure this deserves its own thread for discussion and to have the World’s Most Depressing Betting Pool to wager on what’s possible, what’s reasonable, and what’s total bullshit.

Here’s Trump’s 100 day plan reproduced from the Orange One’s web site (link here) so you don’t have to go there yourself and for easy quoting:

Let’s discuss…

1 Like

On Wednesday, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell mostly made nice with Trump but also shot down or expressed little enthusiasm in some of his plans. On Trump’s proposal to impose term limits on Congress, McConnell said, “It will not be on the agenda in the Senate.” McConnell has been a long-standing opponent of term limits, as NPR’s Susan Davis reports. “I would say we have term limits now — they’re called elections.” McConnell also threw some cold water on Trump’s infrastructure plans, calling it not a top priority.

McConnell did say repealing Obamacare is a “pretty high item on our agenda” along with comprehensive tax reform and achieving border security “in whatever way is the most effective.” But he also declined to discuss the Senate’s immigration agenda further.

“We look forward to working with him,” McConnell said. “I think most of the things that he’s likely to advocate we’re going to be enthusiastically for.”

2 Likes

Yup, and that’s pretty damn terrifying.

14 Likes

19 Likes

Can someone more knowledgeable than me explain why these three items are bad things?

9 Likes

Broken clock?

12 Likes

LOL. I’m actually serious – these seem like good things to me but if the Orange One is proposing them I figure there must be something devious I’m missing here.

6 Likes

See above; do you believe that McConnell & co will make those a priority?

9 Likes

I agree with @TobinL. There might be some good stuff on the agenda, but the problem is the rest of it. It isn’t worth it to me to have these things if it also means I lose some bodily autonomy.

17 Likes

Don’t get me wrong – I’m not trying to defend any part of this agenda and I fully realize anything “good” here is a speck of chocolate embedded into a shit sandwich.

6 Likes

This one is fucking disgusting.

Seattle has told him to piss off, anyway.

18 Likes

Who wants to put odds that the “Clean up Corruption in Washington Act” (snappy title) actually sees the light of day?

5 Likes

Also, one could argue, unconstitutional. I don’t think Supremacy clause would cover this.

7 Likes

Translation: fuck the environment and climate change is bullshit

This one is a real WTF for me as it implies that federal regulations are some sort of zero sum game. This is the kind of crap that can only encourage good legislation to die on the vine.

… and this one which seems a lot like “talk the big talk” but in reality doesn’t mean much of anything. I can’t imagine Obama is in the business of issuing many “unconstitutional” executive actions, memorandums, or orders.

14 Likes

I don’t think that just because fascists come up with an idea that it’s inherently bad, just that it’s likely. That minor potential boon of limited reforms to lobbying is more than outweighed by the massive, despicable evils elsewhere in immigration, starting up trade wars, deregulatory corporate cronyism, under-funding a government that was already ravaged by sequestering, promoting environmental catastrophes for very short term economic gains, etc. With those lobbying reforms left to a Congress that is funded and effectively run by those lobbyists, it’s effectively an empty gesture anyway, a token to sucker the rubes into pretending their plans are something other than business as usual for a thoroughly corrupt GOP.

10 Likes

On the plus side, once Florida sinks it won’t fuck any more elections up for the rest of us.

21 Likes

Yeah, but it’s the blue parts that will go first.

17 Likes

bah with the judges he will appoint to the supreme court.? done deal.
fuck me that I am cynical and thinking this.

9 Likes

I’m probably going to hell for this, but… I wouldn’t complain a bit if he cancels Obama’s policy that it’s okay to execute Americans without due process because Terrorists. Somehow I don’t think that’s the one that will be first on his hit list, though.

12 Likes

12 Likes