U.S. health insurance is a complex nightmare

The blues are still non-profits on paper (they are separate institutions, I’m not sure if they’re all non-profits), but they have acted like the for-profits in terms of stockpiling money and raising rates.
http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2017460805_surplus09m.html

It’s true. The origins of our Democracy were solid - rebellious colonists convinced a plurality of the other colonists to overthrow the British. It was an active choice. Now, is it an active choice? Hardly. We’re a bunch of freaks thinking we are free under a tyrannical government that continually takes our rights while simultaneously throwing us a bone, like, “ok you can smoke weed now.” But meanwhile the justice system has bloated the prisons with smalltime drug offenders… are they releasing those people yet? No. In prison they rot. And same with health care and every other social inequity in this damn place.

Until we come up with a viable alternative system, ACTUALLY go through the pain of setting it up, running it and making it work, we’re just screaming at the wind.

2 Likes

Some are non-profit, others aren’t. I think most aren’t today, but not sure of it.

Today, while on the phone with my husband discussing the complications of both health care and parental leave, I just had to stop and sigh.

“What’s up?” He asked.

“Oh, nothing. Just dreaming of Canada,” I said.

6 Likes

Huh? When I travel outside the EU for a prolonged time, I need additional insurance, too. But these don’t cost that much. Why would they in Canada?

It seems to be a common American perspective that everything has to be about free markets and that everything should be run like an capital-based economy.

It’s sometimes as if they are unable to distinguish these aspects, even though they are perfectly able to understand that, for example, applying market forces to government like outright buying political buyer is a stupid idea.

And the thing is. . . it’s not really that hard in the end. We’ve got more than enough OTHER things to live inside other than nations.

We just have to think a tiny bit outside the box, nothing terribly revolutionary

At this point, the whole co-opernation idea should be the LOW bar!

Then again, having things being this bad just means the first really good solution that can invite everybody in starts out with a bunch of cheat codes.

1 Like

Are we? I don’t think so.

In less than a month, the Supreme Court will take up a case called McCutcheon v. FEC that would strike down some of the last remaining anti-bribery limits and usher in an era of unlimited corruption. It’s Citizens United Round 2, it’s a disaster, and if it stands, you can say buh-bye to whatever’s left of our representative government.

1 Like

The options were drive through Canada for about 3 days and pay $0 for insurance or drive through a few states for about 3 days and pay $x (I don’t know the amount, but it’s more than $0). I think the US route was slightly shorter, but not enough to justify having to deal with US health insurance.

Or instead of fighting it we could exploit it.

Just sayin’

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.