UK court refuses to let wife divorce husband, tells her unhappiness is to be expected in marriage

Isn’t this the country which started a whole new religion so that their King could get divorced?

26 Likes

Oh the irony!

9 Likes

Maybe not, but it could also be the result of generations of inbreeding

When I was a toddler my grandfather wouldn’t agree to the divorce my grandmother wanted. It ended up going to the courts with witnesses taking the stand and what not. It was eventually granted. His ego couldn’t handle that SHE was leaving HIM.

11 Likes

Kind of but not really. It wasn’t exactly a new religion (that came later), and he wanted an annulment on quite specific obscure religious grounds, not a divorce, though what he actually wanted was a younger wife.

1 Like

In the sitcom, the little hamlet will be played by Jon Hamm

wtf. time to change your f*cking laws uk. no-fault divorces should be a right anywhere marriage is a thing.

4 Likes

After close to two decades, our divorce was handled in weeks. We still have a year or so of financial stuff to work through–a separation doesn’t absolve you of tax liability, for example–but it was the best outcome from a bad situation.

Miss her like hell, but I’d rather not make her miserable. Can’t see us ever being friends again. Carp, I doubt we will ever see each other again. And as much as it cuts deep, no fault is the right way.

17 Likes

No. If the weilders of that gif have taught us nothing else, it’s that collateral damage is acceptable in the pursuit of moral superiority.

Ah, so just like the Brexiters!

Did anyone notice if Bugs was North or South of the border? Did he get the help of a Gary Lineker lookalike (the real Gary Lineker doesn’t like Brexit)

1 Like

American conservatives: “Gee, in England they prevent wimmin from being so uppity. We should do that here.”

1 Like

14 Likes

Except that’s what she’d have to do if she got a divorce. Thinking about it though, I wonder if the real problem is having the financial resources to start again without doing things like selling the family home.

2 Likes

As long as their legal profession keeps wearing those… things, I don’t think the British are allowed to make fun of Trump’s hair.

1 Like

When I divorced my first husband New York was still the only state that did not have no-fault divorce. So yeah I actually went to court in the United States and I had a judge yell at me and my ex-husband (who were both living with other people and had dates set for our upcoming weddings to other people) that we are married and we should stop acting like this. It’s been a while now but as I recall that limited the access that his fiancée had to my daughter which created all kinds of issues around school pickups. At which point of course we knew that it was very dangerous for us to go to court. We took years to actually work out a divorce settlement even though we were able to talk to each other and we didn’t have very many differences just because of the BS that the lawyers pulled. They Enacted no fault divorce during the time that my divorce was in process (I was still under the old rules) but I heard from my lawyer that it wasn’t going to change things much because the New York lawyers made a lot of money off of the whole nightmare process.

15 Likes

Couldn’t an exception be made for the Brits who make fun of court wigs?

1 Like

Relationships don’t happen in a vacuum, they’re created (and dissolved) within the context of a culture or subculture. If you want to raise children in my culture, or arrange reasonable survivorship, it is helpful to formalize your status with the local bureaucracy.

Not saying it is great, but there is utility to formal marriage.

I agree, to an extent. With the difference that I think what defines one’s culture is actual participation. People decide between each other what their mutual obligations are. If outsiders feel they have a say, onus is upon them to make a case for why they know better how your family should work. Such arrangements being completely institutionalized I think makes them actually less formal, because there is nothing left to negotiate. After all, I am not marrying or having kids with The State - that would definitely be rape.

American women: “Well, I’ve watched those shows, I’ll bet I can poison him without being noticed…”

ALLEGEDLY! Do not try this at home, this is a joke.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.