UK Political Thread, part the second

3 Likes
2 Likes

Now if only the British establishment had an equality policy on terrorism…

5 Likes

Christ. If there is not accountability for actual crimes committed (by WHOEVER), things are going to quickly flare back up in NI.

The rule of law means nothing anymore, does it?

2 Likes
1 Like

A new report says that Keir Starmer’s Labour “is purging Jews from the party” - with Jews almost five times more likely to face antisemitism charges than non-Jewish members.

It states that British Jews are experiencing “discrimination, victimisation and harassment” inside the UK’s Labour Party.

These statements are found in a submission by Jewish Voice for Labour (JVL) to the Equalities and Human Rights Commission (EHRC). A left-wing, pro-Palestinian Jewish group, JVL was founded in 2017 and has been a consistent supporter of former Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn.

The group says it is submitting its report to the EHRC because it believes its members “increasingly experience administrative persecution by the Labour Party as a form of discrimination”.

4 Likes

JVL is kind of a strange organization. It will be interesting to see what the EHRC makes of their case.

Didn’t they just rule that transphobia was a protected belief? That makes them an “interesting” organisation for me.

Be interesting to see what the ECHR makes of it.,*

*If you can get in before Britain withdraws, human rights has become something of a bete noir for the far right, despite the mechanisms being very deliberately right wing liberal.

3 Likes

Well, if the EHRC is soft on hate groups they should love the JVL .

1 Like

Well they are soft on some hate speech…

4 Likes

It looks like independent has become a dogwhistle for fascism in local elections.

Anarchists were warning people a few years ago, but we were ignored, as we usually are.

http://solfed.org.uk/bristol/far-right-active-for-plymouth-exposed

4 Likes

Same here. I stop my preferences quite early these years. Independent are almost always the fash. If they are left wing they will have explicit alliances up front.

4 Likes
4 Likes

Journalist: People think your vision for the Labour party is unclear, could you explain it for us
Keir: I’ll paint it in primary colours, once I get rid of the ten campaign pledges that I had previously made.
Journalist: That was, um, “helpful”.

I think his new vision involves purges and show trials.

7 Likes

I think this will fit here

It looks like the British left have managed to dodge the bullet of “We got 66% of the vote and still managed to lose”. I’m just glad that Gerard Coyne and the S*n lost.

ETA, one day later:

:partying_face: :fireworks:

Coyne in third place is a fuck you to the Murdoch media empire and it’s interference.

5 Likes

More of that great Brexit dividend.

5 Likes
5 Likes

UK politics is seriously weird and frankly more than a little scary.

8 Likes

It’s even more scary when you are stuck in it, all the bad things that you predicted would happen with Brexit are happening*, and all the people who told you that you were wrong are still in denial.

Then there is the TERF island thing going on as well, and I am left hoping that I will survive this.

*Britain hasn’t Balkanised yet, but my prediction for British Balkanisation is worse than what some pundits are talking about. Forget about the breakup of Britain, I expect the breakup of England into several rival nations as the north-south divide and regional rivalries flare up.

Spellcheck is suggesting that I should replace Balkanisation with cannibalisation. I don’t think things will get that bad.

12 Likes