UK Political Thread, part the second

He’s an Adam Smith institute bod isn’t he? That makes him pretty far right, just not fash.

But the BBC would not have someone as far left as he is right anywhere near the airwaves. They would have had a Christmas tree doodled on their HR files (back when they were paper). Shit, you could get that just for being mouthy.

3 Likes

They did have Paul Mason on Newsnight for a while, but I can’t see that happening now.

ETA: His first appearance was 20 years ago on 9/11.

3 Likes

He was on Question Time back in May but i take your point, he’s no longer a regular.

1 Like
4 Likes

Thread

2 Likes
4 Likes

I hate that it is so hard to leave a country. I don’t want to live here anymore.

5 Likes

I’m hoping that Liz Truss is too busy at the foreign office to focus on her other job as minister for TERFs and inequality. Therese Coffey is still in charge of hating disabled people at the DWP.

Talking of minsters for TERFS and inequality

Shit is going to get ugly in the Labour party, and just in time for the party conference too.

ETA: the BBC reported earlier that Liz Truss is the first woman to be Foreign Secretary. Margaret Beckett would like a word with them…

Further Edit:

It looks like Marsha de Cordova’s resignation is for a valid reason, that the Labour Party are not taking racism seriously. Yet another group who are being failed by Labour. Is the party fit for purpose?

4 Likes

It hasn’t been since John Smith died, unfortunately.

2 Likes

Sources said that efforts to set up a taskforce of experts to design progressive race equality policy were held back over concerns this might upset Red Wall voters, and that Starmer had resisted pleas to make a speech setting out his vision to black communities.

I actually agree with Marsha de Cordova on this, despite my irreconcilable differences with her on other issues.

and

I’m finding out what it takes to get past my mental inertia.

2 Likes

Seeing how this title is oneboxed without a reference to the UK I should probably add that this is in the context of the new Aukus alliance where those three countries royally fucked over France.

They expected any different?

Not that I’m going to cry any tears about any country losing arms sales. And increasing arms sales and supply and decreasing oversight is absolutely a core policy of the UK post brexit.

2 Likes

I’m so fucking sick of Starmer’s craven paralysis. The sooner he’s gone, the better. But that’s not happening til he gives away a bigger majority than Corbyn did whenever the Tories have their snap election and gain another five years in power.

3 Likes

We controlled their strategic Hemsworth reserve. It was a done deal at that point.

3 Likes

Is labour just going to keep hemorrhaging sensible human beings until all that’s left are the Blairite hardcore, some TERs, and Starmer? Cause that seems to be where things are going.

6 Likes

The speculation is that the reshuffle was to prepare for an election – give it a few months. This will not improve the electability of Labour.

2 Likes

If Marsha de Cordova is resigning then that means that they are trying to get rid of the left leaning TERs too. I think the aim is to get a party where Starmer and Luke Akehurst take turns to see who can be more right wing, and any members left applaud or are threatened with expulsion.

3 Likes

There really needs to be a banner where the people (and they are enough of them) ignored by the current political parties get representation… Haven’t voted labour since I lived down south london and it was vote labour or there’s going to be a tory in parliment, but now you’ve made it abundantly clear that even the greens are a bunch of reactionary TERFs they won’t see my vote again until that publicly changes.

It really does seem to be a case of hold your nose and pick the least rancid recently.

4 Likes

So, they’re trying to out right wing the right wing party? That’s… just… ugh…

4 Likes

Either these are deliberate (in which case does anyone want to start a new party for the centre left to left wing?), or they are repeatedly making administrative errors (in which case does anyone want to start a new party for competent people?)

4 Likes