Under Armour: hackers stole the data of 150,000,000 Myfitnesspal users because of course they did

IoT companies are probably worse than average in the data security area, but most other companies that sell software or devices with a software component are also bad. Investing in security costs money and consumer end users don’t generally know the difference between “gosh they say it’s secure” and “it’s really secure.” But they will pay for features and glitz, so that is where the money goes.

I use this app and actually have found it quite useful for what it does, essentially a weight watchers program sort of thing. Having some difficulty figuring out what data they have that could be put to use. Ok, they have my weight and my dietary preferences. No personal info, SS#, credit cards. Is this a hack for the sake of saying “Hey, look what I can do?”

2 Likes

The more important issue is that you are likely to have used that password and email address in other contexts. Start aligning other data breaches and eventually you’ll have a nice database of past and current passwords in relation to specific email addresses. It’s actually pretty dangerous when you think about the cumulative effect of how dumb people are in terms of continuously using the same or similar variations of passwords…

3 Likes

Sorry but I’m not likely to have practiced such horrific password security.

Part of the problem is lawyers and companies feel they already have a solution: Offer free credit monitoring to the affected, and move on. Stock rebounds in a week or two, Problem “solved”.

1 Like

via Imgflip Meme Generator

1 Like

It wasn’t always owned by Underarmor. It’s got the best database of calorie counting apps that I’ve found, tons of people use it.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.