Understanding is a three-edged sword

I watched it when it was broadcast, but not since. With the political climate and all, it seems like a good time to revisit.

We would have to police for spoilers somehow, I’d think. If only we had a moderator or site admin who was entirely on board with this idea. If only. @orenwolf ?

I wonder if we could have a flag for spoilers, that instead of yielding a 'removed for rudeness, click here to view" causes a post to be [spoilered], and if a couple people throw it it just spoilers the text rather than removing the post? No mod intervention required.

7 Likes

That sounds like all we could reasonably hope for. Sounds great to me!

3 Likes

I added a “no spilers” comment at the top of the thread, and as I mentioned, the Lurkers guide is a great spot for starting discussion, as it is, by design, spoiler-free.

3 Likes

And after Chrysalis, they replaced Sinclair with Sheridan.

I’ve seen the first and, maybe the second season. Quit when it became hard to find a copy online.

Besides, DS9 is…

2 Likes

Oh this sounds interesting!

I remember watching Babylon 5 back in the late 90s (that’s when it aired on tv around here).
Granted, I was like 6 at the time, so aside from some gnarly visuals I don’t remember anything else.

I have faith in my own good taste, so sign me up!

4 Likes

This is actually the first thread I’ve ever not clicked on the spoiler blurs.

3 Likes

The master link I posted has the chronology - but basically, start with:

In the beginning
Pilot
Seasons1-3

That’s a ton to get started :smiley:

3 Likes

Here is a wiki for the discussion schedule. Anyone can edit the comment to add date information.

@miasm: I started on a Mon / Fri schedule for two episodes a week. Gives us something to do at the beginning of the week and something to watch over the weekend. If the schedule is too fast, feel free to change it.

###Event # | Description | Discussion Date

Note: The Description hyperlink leads to the Lurker’s Guide page for that event, which contains spoilers.

1. First Film (In the Beginning) | March 17th???  

2. PILOT - (The Gathering) | March 20th???

SEASON 1 | This will share a date with S01E22

3. S01E01 (Midnight On The Firing Line) | March 24th???

4. S01E02

5. S01E03

6. S01E04

7. S01E05

8. S01E06

9. S01E07

10. S01E08

11. S01E09

12. S01E10

13. S01E11

14. S01E12

15. S01E13

16. S01E14

17. S01E15

18. S01E16

19. S01E17

20. S01E18

21. S01E19

22. S01E20

23. S01E21

24. S01E22

Constructing a schedule from:

List of Babylon 5 episodes - Wikipedia

###Chronology

Babylon 5 TV seasons and films
1993–2007

In order of series chronology:
2245–48 • In the Beginning (1st film)*
2256 • Babylon 5 station commissioned
2257 • The Gathering (Pilot)
2258 • Signs and Portents (Season 1)
2259 • The Coming of Shadows (Season 2)
2260 • Point of No Return (Season 3)
2261 • No Surrender, No Retreat (Season 4)**
2261 • Thirdspace (2nd film)***
2262 • The Wheel of Fire (Season 5)†
2263 • The River of Souls (3rd film)
2265 • The Legend of the Rangers (5th film)
2266 • A Call to Arms (4th film)
2267 • Crusade (spin-off series)
2271 • The Lost Tales: Voices in the Dark
2278 • In the Beginning (1st film)*
2281 • Babylon 5 station decommissioned

Paging the people who expressed a desire to do the thing. Sorry if I missed anyone!

(acer already edited the wiki but everyone else gets a quote so… I guess orenwolf should get a quote too!

8 Likes

This sounds very cool, but I can only find it on Amazon, and it’s not included with prime. :cry: neither Hulu nor netflix provide.

4 Likes

Feeling the same way here. I wish these were included with a service I already pay for. I can afford to buy them separately, just with prime and paying for internet I already feel like I spend more than I should for home entertainment. I’m not really interested in the DVDs - not very good with optical media - and the seasons are $20 to “own” on amazon video with the movies at $8 per. Youtube does have “In the Beginning” for $2, so I guess I’ll start there. I guess if I can stick to an episode a week (I doubt it) and spread out the cost ~$100 isn’t so bad… Alright, I’m in.

1 Like

I’d say the SF Futurama owes most to for its basic premise is Robert Sheckley’s work.

2 Likes

Eye agree.

2 Likes

Babylon 5 is srs bsns.

Great to see so many fans though. It always was about londo and g’kar, or more accurately about the rise (again) of the centauri people and the horrible price they paid as a result. The quote @bibliophile20 posted is key and a rewatch makes you appreciate how meticulously jms planned it all out since it comes so early. Galactic war? Merely a diversion to the true arc of that series.

4 Likes

[Spoiler]This text will appear blurred.[/Spoiler]

=

[Spoiler]This text will appear blurred.[/Spoiler]

1 Like

I love Babylon 5 and I also love John Kovalic:

http://www.dorktower.com/1999/08/01/shadis-magazine-strip-18/

(And I’m pretty sure that’s actually entirely spoiler-free!)

Like others, I love the show, but lack access to the media. If I can participate without spoilering, then I will. You lucky, lucky people. :slight_smile:
3 Likes

Linked from the top! Thanks!

2 Likes

the Matthew Sweet poster makes that cartoon.

Somehow the thought of forcing all the old hippies and recent California immigrants to watch B5 from beginning to end seems very entertaining to me!

3 Likes

Loved B5 since it came out and rewatch it every now and again. Recently got the BluRay set of the CNN documentary but havent had occasion to watch it all yet.

2 Likes

Yes, right this way sir, into the Alamo. No, it’s part of the no-refusal weekend. There will be kale and craft-beer if you make it to the end of season one.

4 Likes