Undocumented Americans

News about ICE and Border Patrol bastardry is getting lost in the wash of general fascist chaos.

So, here is the thread to remind people about the serious and immediate danger facing eleven million Americans.

10 Likes

https://twitter.com/splinter_news/status/910896177687793664

6 Likes
8 Likes
5 Likes

4 Likes

https://twitter.com/frankthorp/status/909836080832176128

https://twitter.com/jun0ooo0oooo00o/status/909929623261134848

6 Likes

i use either “americans” or “u.s. residents” when i’m speaking about everyone who lives here for the long term. i see nothing exceptional or silly about the above usage.

9 Likes

Its just Humpty Dumpty linguistics for political ends

Depends on whether you view the noun ‘American’ as reference to a culture or a nationality. An national is, by legal definition, a citizen of .

Personally, I’m still a bit confused by the concept of nationality because I’ve also read that nation refers to a stable, cohesive populace with a political and cultural identity and that this is entirely separate from the state, hence the seemingly but not at all redundant term nation-state.

‘Undocumented U.S. citizen’ is definitely an oxymoron* so I’m assuming @Wanderfound is viewing ‘American’ as a cultural rather than legal term.

*Well, maybe not. See @tinoesroho’s comment just below.

8 Likes

Not a contradiction in terms. Parts of the US did not have proper records until the 80s on account of archives burning.

7 Likes

Well, you know what some people on the far right say - America - love it or leave it.

1 Like

i suppose seeing only what one wants to see is humpty dumpty optics for political ends as well. i’ve seen my usage of the term–i.e. applying to all long term residents-- as well as seeing it used to apply to all residents in general in multiple contexts. you seem to be taking exception to something that seems unexceptionable from my reading of newspapers, blog posts, and articles.

and i’m not just talking about readings from the liberal end of the spectrum, i keep up with current conservative thinking (speaking of oxymorons) as well.

10 Likes

In any event, the demonyn, american, refers to a resident of North or South America. That is how the term is understood outside of the border of the United States. That is also why the Spanish language demonym for those people in the US is not americano/a, it’s estadounidense, or aometimes, pendejo/a.

13 Likes

The DREAMers are indeed undocumented Americans, in that they were born in the U.S. to parents who weren’t citizens (and thus don’t have access to proper citizenship documents of their own) and who grew up as Americans in America [ETA: without the recollection of their birth lands that their parents might have]. Another example of the concept is the veteran who doesn’t have citizenship papers or a green card – hard to claim that an undocumented person who’s willing to lay down his life for the U.S. isn’t in some way an American.

I’m not sure why this is confusing to people, but then again I don’t understand the religious right’s approach to the issue. I realise that they enjoy pissing on liberals in general but it’s worth pointing out that “family-first” religious fundamentalism is paradoxical to, y’know, separating families and making children suffer for the sins of their parents.

In the end, I suppose putting the Invisible Bearded Humpty Dumpty back together again (and again and again…) in the service of their politics involves more than the usual amount of expeditious picking and choosing.

9 Likes

You’re thinking of the wrong group. The DREAMers are generally people who were brought over as children by undocumented parents and then do, as you said, “[grow] up as Americans in America”.

8 Likes

Thanks. I’ll make the correction

5 Likes

Let’s please avoid descending into a massive pedantic derail over the title of the topic versus the rather more important substance therein.

Thank you.

15 Likes
4 Likes
2 Likes

https://twitter.com/laist/status/913511690943307776

2 Likes