Unicorn takes $699 from 350 scooter buyers, tells them they won't be getting a scooter or a refund

Yes, the headline says 350 scooter buyers and 699 × 350 does equal 244,650.

4 Likes

Should be 350, which would make the total work.

Nick Evans, doing his part to make sure 2019 goes down in history as America’s Year of the Grifter.

4 Likes

In this production model, pre-ordering is a way to get the thing in the first run. With a project like this where they use the pre-orders to fund development and tooling, the first run is short, with typically a long gap between the first and second runs. Waiting for stock generally means waiting a long time for the product and production process to mature to the point where they have excess capacity (which can take years in some cases)…

…which is exactly what you should do. Pre-ordering is a giant trick played on all of us by companies who can’t be bothered to risk their own money to fund manufacturing startup costs.

Pre-ordering is a zero-interest loan of indefinite length to people you know nothing about. It’s yet another way that companies have found to socialize their risks and losses while keeping profits private.

8 Likes

Well, he should really enjoy paying his attorneys for a defense in a class action lawsuit.

4 Likes

Isn’t this a Christ what an asshole situation?

3 Likes

Stopped buying tiles because the batteries are non-replaceable, and so the whole thing becomes plastic-and-electronics landfill within a year.

Apple will put them out of business when they release their NFC tags next year.

I think they finally changed the design to allow for replaceable batteries.

Not shilling for them, though. I’ve never owned a Tile. I bought a competing tracker tag a couple years ago specifically because of the non replaceable battery in the Tiles, and the ones I got (Trackr Bravo) were just a waste of money that worked erratically, ate through 3-4 batteries a year and weren’t loud enough unless the place was super quiet, or you could get everyone to shut up for a quick second.

1 Like

This speaks to the futility of using Facebook to advertise products, which as far as I can tell is FB’s business model. I don’t bother advertising my stuff there, as I have heard no success stories from buying FB ads.

But also, that Evans guy sounds like a dick.

2 Likes

Ooh, I can’t wait to see what user-hostile “feature” Apple adds to (or deletes from) their version of NFC tags.

2 Likes

Someone was the last person to plunk down unrecoverable money for this thing. What I’m wondering is, how long an interval elapsed between that point and the decision to bail? A week? A day? Did the order ping as he was writing his “so sorry” e-mail?

From a legal standpoint it doesn’t matter. Just morbidly curious.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.