Unkept Promise: Anti-alcohol comic book from 1949

Mmmmm…Booze taint…So many memories…

The artwork on this is great; the details and the high angles, a lot of planning went into this.

1 Like

Wow. I am surprised that this thread has become a sounding board for the Temperance League. I guess I’ve been living in Europe for so long that I forgot all about the preachings against alcohol. The French extol the virtues of red wine, and here in Munich we have Oktoberfest, so temperance isn’t even on the radar here.

The story is so wonderfully over the top, though, that I found it hard to look away. It kind of was like a Michael Bay explosion in slow motion – divorced from reality, but pretty pictures.

EDIT: and the moral of the story? Don’t start drinking at middle age with the hard stuff. Ease into it, like the chief engineer who led poor Mr. Miller to his first drop of the good stuff. :beers:

5 Likes

Ooooh, might burn though…

2 Likes

You say that like it’s a bad…uh… Did I type that out loud? :flushed:

2 Likes

Any type of prohibition is a very bad idea. Regulation works much much better. This especially goes for the opiates, which should be medicalized instead of criminalized. To back up my position, I suggest Richard Lawrence Miller’s The Case for Legalising Drugs http://www.amazon.com/Case-Legalizing-Drugs-Richard-Miller/dp/0275934594#reader_0275934594 .

1 Like

Or like Jack London? Started young, hated it, drank it anyway due to peer pressure, became dependent on it…

Was that in the comic? If not, then you’re arguing the wrong point: it’s about the message the comic delivers to the reader, not about the real dangers of alcoholism. My point about Europe was to put myself as a reader into perspective.

huh? what?

My comment about the chief engineer was all about the lesson the comic was delivering to the readers. We saw the business owner on his slide down, but his engineer seemed to be doing all right. Before I commented upon the comic, I commented about how temperance was never really suggested in Europe.

And those weren’t even fnords.

I can understand their intent, as I’ve seen the bottle hit some people repeatedly, and hard, and tragically.

But lying and this sort of crap just makes it more appealing to rebellious souls.

Coming in a bit late.
In my years as a paramedic I saw the worst alcohol addicts were also the worst drug affected people overall, worse than even heroin.
From talking to both patients and homeless people when on posting I think it was the easiest to get hard drug available, sometimes even by stealing vanilla extract or cheap ethanol based perfume, and that like most abuse is simply self medication for chronic pain, depression, PTSD, and other issues better handled by an enlightened easy-access no-penalty universal access healthcare system.
(edit)Prohibition simply builds a dangerous underground criminal infrastructure and fearful users, abuse should be treated like any other medical issue and pharmacies should sell the requested generic drugs.

2 Likes

I might as well mention this piece in the Chronicle of Higher Education

How to be Intoxicated

… Across the street from me is another place where drinking is new. Many of the freshmen who wheeled their things across Broadway and into the Columbia dorms just a few months ago brought some experience of drinking with them—but probably not in the volume or freedom that started for them this fall. Universities’ engagement with these things is mostly limited to fear of 18-year-olds drinking themselves into the hospital. But fear blinds: How to be intoxicated—not just with alcohol, but with politics, religion, sex, or any of the other kinds of drunkenness that are part of being young—is as much a practice to be learned as any other skill taught in the curriculum, and yet it’s one that’s almost always taught by accident…

You have one hour to discuss.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.