US Customs is seizing refurbished Apple batteries and calling them "counterfeits"

Doesn’t Apple itself sell refurbs on it’s website? Then WTF?

At this rate, then, we’ll have ‘negative thinness’!

Seriously, though, as long as the interface needs a keyboard, there is a limit. I’ve tried ‘non-travel’ keyboards and they do not work for me. A keyboard must have travel. This limits thinness potential. See what @ficuswhisperer says above.

1 Like

You can get a battery replaced in a “vintage” Apple laptop. They just won’t be genuine Apple batteries.

The marketing for the arbitrary race to be thinnest has already corrupted language. Apple (and others) have managed to get reporters to parrot Apple marketing speak and write about products being “just one half inch thin” rather than “just one half inch thick”.

1 Like

This is what bugs me about this claim. There’s also little evidence that customs is intentionally yanking refurbished parts. If the parts aren’t clearly labeled as refurbished, and given parts from China they probably aren’t, it’s not entirely unreasonable to believe that they are counterfeit.

1 Like

Keep buying those apple products if you want this to continue.

That is why I bought my last apple product many years ago, and why I sold my apple stock a little over a year ago. Apple is absolute garbage. I have been forwarding articles like this one to my IT department at work trying to help convince them to switch from a system agnostic office to a no-apple office.

You should travel more - 60-70% of the laptops in the lounges for business travelers are Macs.

a great number of modern “PC’s” also have internal batteries. That’s not just an apple thing.

You can buy 3rd party apple batteries on amazon on all day. The problem is a company selling 3rd party batteries with someone else’s logo on them and calling them refurbished. They aren’t apple refurbished batteries. They are enclosures filled with unknown internals. these are the kind of batteries that burn houses down.

Am I missing the point if I wonder why he’s using refurbished batteries and not one of the many many third-party replacement batteries that can be purchased for cheap? Undoubtedly any battery refurbished in China is going to have the same cells as these third-party batteries that lack any Apple branding and seem to be sold on the market with no customs issues. I’m not sure what’s the point of buying refurbs, if all that’s kept of the original is maybe the frame between cells.

If nefarious Apple was really trying to shut down the repair market and make sure old laptops couldn’t be resurrected, why are they (evidently) not cracking down on the importing of brand new third-party batteries for Apple devices?

For example, here’s a new “Temark” branded battery for a 2010 MacBook Air that runs $70 on Amazon. I’ve bought and installed a similar battery to keep an old laptop running. I’ve never had an issue with 3rd party replacement batteries and have never had trouble buying any, but I haven’t bought any that carry an Apple logo or even thought of doing so. I’ve also bought many a third-party non-apple-branded battery to install in various old iOS devices without fuss.

Oh my, just did a search to see whether one could easily buy batteries for Apple laptops older than 2010, and found brand new batteries and power supplies for the 12" G3 iBook on Amazon.

If Apple’s trying to keep people from being able to get batteries for older computers, they’re doing a lousy job at it.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.