Used bookstores doing fine, allegedly

Houston has a Half Price Books, but i’ve yet to visit the Austin location (don’t have a car so i get lazy). But my experience with the Houston one is great, i highly recommend it. Especially for discovering random (new or old) books. And i mentioned in a post above that Bookpeople is also a great location. I mainly like them for their events with authors.

2 Likes

Why don’t you just ignore them the way the rest of us do?

Because if somebody wants me to give them my money, they need to not be an asshole to me.

3 Likes

I buy new stuff from BookPeople, preferentially. I will out out of my way not to buy a book from Amazon. So yeah, I love BookPeople too. I used to go to BookWoman to do xmas shopping… they moved farther north and I’ve lost track of them a bit.

Half Price is very useful not just because they sell used books at a decent price, which is fine already, but also because they will often buy my piles of books that I have culled from my herd. It’s amazing what they will buy. Often, their buy offer isn’t huge, but it’s enough for me to feel glad that my shelves get lightened a bit, and I get a chance to use their offer as store-credit for something that I [invariably] find worth getting.

Good people, good mission, recycled reads. For me this is win-win-win 95% of the time. Here’s to literacy, and to authors, who, until rather recently, were not called “content creators.” Authors wrote under all kinds of crazy conditions, then and even now, without computers, and their thoughts can, for a time, be my thoughts, or at least food for thought.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.