✌ Victory! ✌

I’m pretty sure I won’t have to go to Antarctica, so I probably only said that because I felt safe in saying it. It’s supposed to be SUPER boring there!

…unless you get infected by an alien organism and turn into a weird metamorphic monster that tries to kill Kurt Russell…but I’m pretty sure that’d be more of a step back.

8 Likes

We would miss you. One of my online MOO friends did 6 months tech support in the winter when it is daylight all the time. He would hop on the MOO when the satellite was overhead and that was about all he could do for internet other than send/receive mail. You would have a hard time posting here.

6 Likes

I always half fancied a job with the British Antarctic Survey. Had the wrong degree, though.

4 Likes

Some parts of Dallas are nice, though the freeways there actively work to kill you.

If you don’t know, in the Spring, the UT Southwest Medical Center in the middle of town has a rookery that’s absolutely glorious.
Imgur
Imgur
Imgur
Imgur

Never visited in the Summer, so I’m not sure if they’re still nesting, but I think there are a load of egrets and herons that hang out through the year (and anhingas and ibises). Every time I’m in Dallas I go. White Rock Lake and the Arboretum are really nice too - there’s a resident red-tailed hawk in the Arboretum that’s highly tolerant of people.

Imgur

13 Likes

Not familiar with that one. Now have to fix that

Like that one

7 Likes

There is the occasional interesting thing.

5 Likes

There are a couple (at least) theorems attributed to Thales. Their proofs are nice (and very easy) exercise using basic vector operations.

5 Likes

Will have to dig into that.

2 Likes

Reason enough not to go!

Also, I may be a native midwesterner, but that’s a bit cold for even for us!

Dude, I am SO on it! That looks stunning, and I think they might be one of our clients!

5 Likes

By the way, the theorem is “if and only if,” which means that if you have a circle and want to draw a diameter, you can take something rectangular (like a sheet of paper), put one corner on the circumference, and the two points where the sides of the paper hit the circle are antipodal, so a line connecting them is a diameter. This is genuinely useful.

10 Likes

Thanks thats good. Move it around get a second diameter centre is the intersection.

2 Likes

Dumbest memory of my youth: one day in the fall in 4th grade (first of our two years in Arlington, TX), a half inch of “snow” dusted the area. We were sent home from school, and the freeways knotted up. 1/2" of fluff did this. The kind of fluff you don’t even bother brushing off your car because it blows off the second you begin accelerating.

I urge you to telecommute the day it “snows” in DFW.

10 Likes

MY NOON MEETING GOT CANCELLED! TIME FOR LUNCH! 

18 Likes

Holy wow!

Not only do I love the new job, but these guys are almost too smart for a huge opportunity that they didn’t know they could target (State Medicaid, supporting the MMIS systems directly, helping with FMAP hunting, etc.) that could be worth a metric fuckton of business. (okay, so not many people know about match hunting, member juggling for budget neutrality and the like…the guys with the skills tend to stay in the Medicaid finance world)

They’ve got some AMAZING ETL guys, and their application layer is far more sophisticated than what I’d have dreamed up. They even have this nifty breadcrumb layer addition to Tableau that’s pure genius.

This is going to be fun!

Wait a sec, isn’t a metric fuckton just a fucktonnne?

15 Likes

It’s also a mega fuck gram.

12 Likes

That sounds much more fun to say.

tests

Yup!

11 Likes

I just had a tooth extracted. Like an hour ago.

I feel dumb for letting it go bad, but at least it’s over with!

17 Likes

I finally felt well enough to finish an hour of cardio on the recumbent bike and, while sore, I feel

16 Likes

My pops opened his eyes and squeezed my hand today. Seven days of coma were more than enough, thank you very much!:joy:

32 Likes

I got granted regular. I think that’s a victory.

25 Likes