✌ Victory! ✌

Yes. It helps when the program has the movements listed separately, so that people can tick them off in their heads.

The median age at our Symphony performances is something like 150, so I don’t think inexperience is the problem here…though I do occasionally overhear some older audience members whispering things like “that’s an interesting piece of music, is it new?” when the orchestra is playing, eg, Beethoven’s 9th.

Last night they played the Liszt préludes that were used for the theme of the old Flash Gordon serials from the 1930s, so I expect they were all familiar with it.

9 Likes

My parents and sisters adore my fiancee!
:grin:

26 Likes

Excellent news! Congrats!

8 Likes

Isn’t it wonderful when family members like each other, even when they are just coming together? I’m very happy for all of you, and I hope she likes them as well.

9 Likes

We just played 7 Wonders with my sister and brother-in-law, and my fiancee won by 5 points–and it was her first game!

18 Likes

Also after every song in an opera (not sure if that’s actually a faux pas or not, but sometimes it seems a bit much).

1 Like

If you clap and cheer loud enough, the orchestra will play an encore of "Freebird.

#classicalMusicFacts

13 Likes

It’s still OK to sing along with the good bits, yeah? Cause I got the words to that Flower Duet one from the adverts nailed.

6 Likes

OH! I like her dress!

5 Likes

So, post-visit report:

My niece, Rikki, addressed her as “Auntie Susi!” the first night.

My sisters both like her; Rachel, the youngest, was the picture of hospitality, and kept trying to feed Susi, while Carol (the middle sister) talked and discussed with her in a welcoming manner, and also kept trying to feed her. :slight_smile: Also, Carol’s kids, primarily Rikki, adored her. (And Rikki is an intensely smart little prodigy… a just-under-five-year-old who, for example, knows what a “triangular prism” is, how it is not a pyramid, and explained this to her aunt, at length)

My mother kept trying to be a caregiver, and of course, showering us with food (we have so much leftovers…), while my father talked with (at?) her at length, telling her stories, and, upon finding that my future mother-in-law collects coins and stamps, went through his personal coin and stamp collection for some things to send back to Germany.

Also, we visited the Cleveland Natural History Museum, where I volunteered as a teen and I gave her the tour that I once would have given when I was one of the astronomer’s assistants, and we also visited the Cleveland Art Museum and got to see their impressionists, and the Mugal art exhibit, and the Arms and Armor hall. :smile:

All in all, it was an awesome visit, and Susi now feels that she not only has me, but the rest of my immediate family to count as her own, and has deeper roots than she did last week–and we’re currently being very sappy. :heart_eyes:

25 Likes

But does it have pockets?

8 Likes

:slight_smile: !! Good to hear, enjoy and love.

6 Likes

Not a faux pas - it is a very old tradition, and divas during the golden age of the Met are reputed to have gone into a snit when they didn’t get such a response - but yes, it sometimes seems a bit much. The difference with a symphony is that the quiet between movements plays a role in the music.

5 Likes

Good question, @bibliophile20? Does her awesome dress have pockets? Inquiring minds want to know.

7 Likes

Her awesome black dress does not have pockets, but her excellent blue dress does. (EDIT: from over my shoulder: “I am very happy about the pockets in my blue dress! Tell them how happy I am about the pockets in my blue dress!”)

15 Likes

Oh, we know how happy she is about pockets in her dress. :wink:

7 Likes

Our health insurance IDs came with our billing statement at last, the new insurance is accepted, I’ve been told by billing, by my primary care clinic, and I can now be seen for the changes in size and texture of my birthmark.

The DVD set (“Not Just the Best of The Larry Sanders Show”) I’ve had on hold at the library for over six months is in transit to my local branch!

None of this is due to my personal volition though (except the weekly nagging to see what was taking so long leading to a phone call sorting out a clerical error), but the health insurance allowing me treatment for possibly serious skin changes leading to removal of my birthmark seems like sweet relief. Should there be a Sweet Relief topic?

11 Likes

But offcource she is happy about the pockets in her blue dress. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Get pics.

2 Likes

Yay! Blue dress pockets! Too bad about the black dress though. We mourn the lack of pockets. But it still looks fab on her!

7 Likes