✌ Victory! ✌

RatGirl the Younger’s passport arrived today. That has to be a new record. She’s ten weeks old today.

25 Likes

Tonight, I got to hang out and have some scintillating conversation with three good friends in person from the BBS.

Also I got to chow on a delicious Reuben sammich and drink some tasty beer. Doing so with friends makes it all the better.

31 Likes

I have a new computer. She is shiny and beautiful and her name is Bronte.

30 Likes

I’ve been having a three day conversation on a Christian blog discussing an article about the problems with the progressive left. We disagreed on a number of points (a lot of points actually), but we had a polite conversation, all learned something and thanked each other for our input. A couple of people claimed that the conversation was at least as helpful as the article. It was an unexpectedly pleasant experience.

28 Likes

the new major release of a mission critical piece of shit software is not a complete disaster. we had - admittedly - low expectations.

15 Likes

Field Hockey star got placed in first team all conference.

And will play in the Blue and Gold all stars game.

And was team high scoring player for the season (by scoring like 50% of the goals - in case y’all didn’t notice, in the video above the other team is consistently putting three defensive players on her, for the whole game - and if you listen you can probably occasionally hear the other coach screaming “get six! Get six!”).

And got team MVP at the awards banquet last night, along with yet another varsity letter (she’s earned, like, eight or nine of them).

But the victory is that Field Hockey girl just got a scholarship offer covering all but $2000 dollars a year of full-time college tuition for four years! Literally a college degree for $8000!

We are still waiting for other colleges to make offers, but it’s looking very good today.

16 Likes

Two years and four months ago I had a Power Port inserted into my chest to make chemo easier and spare my veins. Since finishing chemo I’ve had to have it flushed at least once every six weeks to prevent clotting.

Today with any luck I just had my last flush. Next month I get the port removed.

41 Likes

Well, that’ll save carting around all those adapters, unless you’re going all USB-C on us.

And 'Grats. :smiley:

18 Likes

Some of you might remember that my wife and I started producing T-shirts around June. We went from making dozens of dollars originally to making >1k last month, and we’ve already broken that this month (!). Not at all what I expected, and kind of astounding for something that’s barely work, and where 90% of the work’s fun since it’s mostly playing with graphic design and making art that seems cool. That’s without paying anything for advertising, just the occasional post of stuff to Pinterest/FB/Twitter/the blog/here. Things are going well enough we’re actually going to do a few Facebook ads so we had to set up a site. It’s WordPress+WooCommerce+Woozone+a bunch of crap on a managed host, with a lot of complex bits I’d never dealt with before, but it’s working end to end now. Yes!

It could be more beautiful, but I’m still pretty pleased with all the things it does:
http://urchinwear.net/product-category/shirts/hedgehog-art/

24 Likes

Also if anyone’s interested in learning about how to do this stuff, msg me and I can tell you about it - it’s dead simple, there’s no up front costs (nor any costs), and you’re basically working as an artist on commission without having to deal with logistics/fulfilment/etc . Signups are by invite and there’s a queue, so if you do want to take a crack, best to get an application in sooner.

13 Likes

It’s very nice and I’m pleased for ya!. Hope you sell a brazillion of 'em!

Course, you’d sell more if they came in proper sizes. Ah well. Shipping costs would kill it for me, anyway. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

That’s fantastic

10 Likes

My old phone had been found! I needed to replace it anyway, but now I can get the 3 months of kids photos off it (failing auto-backup one of the several problems it had).

21 Likes

I did my first out-of-the-neighborhood bike ride last Tuesday, and just did my second one today. I’ve been working up to this since June, and it’s taken a surprisingly large amount of preparation (working on the bike, working on me) to get to where I can just go and do it because I feel like it, but I’m there now and it’s nice. Maybe 4 miles today, hills because I live on a big one, meaning all egress is downhill and all returning roads are up. The route included a segment of 55 mph highway (cough 70 cough) so it was fairly sporting for that reason. I’m keeping it short for now because I want to make steady progress and not overdo it, so nothing epic, but still a milestone.

I don’t totally want to label it a victory because that would feel like an ending, when really this is a stage in a journey and I don’t want to let any steam out, psychologically, but I do want to bask a little.

Also, exercise is my anti-depressant of choice, and it’s working right now. I’m feeling pretty good. :relaxed:

16 Likes

That’s so awesome! Very happy to hear it…

15 Likes

Discovered that someone left a non-spam comment on my two day old blog!

25 Likes

Champions League, eh?

4 Likes

Obv. not a Spurs fan. :laughing:

2 Likes

I hit 100k yesterday in my NaNoWriMo challenge, and have been challenged to reach either the end of the novel or 250k by new years :smile:

12 Likes

I invited someone over as my Thanksgiving dinner guest.

I never make American Thanksgiving dinner, so I told my guest this would be a late Canadian Thanksgiving dinner.

12 Likes