✌ Victory! ✌

:smile::soccer:

Now, can we stay top?

4 Likes

Hey, at least we’ve caught up with our points total from the Champions League…

3 Likes

When my bright idea to check out Indies First bookstore promo nets my tot an acceptance from a National Book Award Winner to visit his Language Arts class to talk about his banned classic and the author says we look great in our leaner shapes.

7 Likes

Good luck with the most low-energy goalkeeper in the EPL.

My wife’s hope is that LC does better this year than Chelsea did last year. Me, I’d just like to see Hull and Middlesbrough switch places. I really don’t like Middlesbrough, they play like thugs.

4 Likes

YAY BIRFDAY PRESENT!
A day late but I am now old enough I don’t care much about the timing.
thanks @JemmieDuffs and @nemomen

32 Likes

Yes! Double-victory!

16 Likes

150,000 words for my NaNoWriMo project! And I still have 22 hours left in the day to see how high I can push it, but I just managed to average 5,000 words per day for an entire month. I’m feeling pretty awesome right now.

23 Likes

That’s incredible! Good on you!

Also… I wish I could write that much in a day! :wink:

15 Likes

Final official word count, as of last night:

Average of 5,168 per day. :smiley:

16 Likes

OMG! Go you! Was this a fiction project? Non-fiction? Did you just write straight on and ignore editing, trying to get a whole thing together that you can go back and read as a whole later?

This reminds that recently Stephen King and George RR Martin interviewed each other and I think Martin asked King about this, how he can write so much so fast, and I think it’s a difference in approach. Martin writes slower, I think, because he wants to perfect it as much as possible as we goes, while King writes more quickly and edits later, I think (maybe he also does more pre-planning before getting to the writing stage?).

10 Likes

I was all set to do a piece of original fiction in a sci-fi setting that I’ve been working on since February (murder mystery on a sky-hook space elevator in transit) and then this fanfic walked in and started winding around my ankles, and said, “Hi, here’s my title, will you write me?”

So I was doomed. :slight_smile:

I’m writing it straight-on, as is the point in NaNoWriMo, and I plan on going back and editing later when the whole thing is finished, and then publishing it serially on the fanfic archives.

However, my fiancee and two of my friends (both experienced fandom people) have commented that it reads and flows as well as some of the better fiction that they’ve read (My fiancee, in particular, said that it was “not allowed to be a first draft. It’s too good.”)

Also, I’m using the Lois Bujold approach; instead of plotting extensively, I’m dropping characters with known motivations, attitudes and capabilities into a situation, and letting them react appropriately, and steering as necessary towards the goals that I want–with occasional surprises to me.

17 Likes

16 Likes

Ah, she took the advanced course :grinning:

11 Likes

Someone already used that in the NaNoWriMo thread itself :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I bought an auger and cleared about 6 ounces of hair and gunk out of my shower drain.

I recognize that this is super-basic home maintenance, but when that giant clump of crud spiraled out of the drain, I just had this huge rush of accomplishment, like, “look on my works ye mighty, and despair!”

28 Likes

I always feel a YES! moment for just a few seconds before the ewwww gross moment sets in.

16 Likes

When I was young I was a writer (considered quite good, in fact), and used the Martin approach. Now that computers are available I’ve discovered that my learning disabilities are best handled by typing words on a keyboard, secure in the knowledge that it’s easy to edit (and re-edit), much as King seems to do. I stopped wanting to write many decades ago, so the info came too late! But it could be useful for someone else: if one of these two writing methods doesn’t work for you…try the other.

16 Likes

I once cleared my sink drain and found four combs. (They weren’t mine)

13 Likes

Previous owners, or part of the joy of having children?

2 Likes

It was a rented apartment, and I think one belonged to my wife.

5 Likes