Venting, random

One of those casual dining joints, TGIF I’m fairly certain, won’t give you coins as change. If they owe you $1.99, you get one dollar back. This was quite a while ago, so things may have changed admittedly.

3 Likes

Do NOT ask for iced tea in Canada. It is virtually all sugary not-tea syrup somewhat diluted with water. You will think you have been poisoned.

6 Likes

The internet really needs a hugs n kittens button.

10 Likes

Well, it’s close to “hugs and kittens,” right?

22 Likes

And Do NOT ask for “coffee” in NYC. You’ll end up with milk and sugar in it and you’ll want to spit it out and ask WTF is this shit but you’re obviously not from there and you’ll be too embarrassed to question it, you’ll just have to choke it down and add it to the charming ways NYC expresses its arrogance. And you’ll probably do this several times before you remember to order it with nothing in it.

4 Likes

Or write your cover letter in a haiku, paraphrasing C. Bukowski:

I don’t hate people
Better when they’re not around
That gentle pure space

13 Likes

They’re so cute when they’re young…

5 Likes

That barley makes any sense at all

5 Likes

Last time i was clean shaven was about two years ago. I got too close with the trimmer, then decided what the hell, let’s shave it all off. I didn’t like the way my face felt so i immediately grew my beard back.

3 Likes

Exactly. The only real coffee is high-test, nothing in it except damn strong bitter coffee. Anything else is a milkshake.

4 Likes

These types of stores are called “party stores” in Michigan. As far as I know, they’re not called “party store” anywhere else on Earth. All diners are “Coney Island” here.

Michigan is weird, but at least our coffee isn’t served NYC “regular.”

3 Likes

I go clean-shaven in the winter, because otherwise my beard gets stuck to my balaclava when skiing.

As much as I love skiing, I will be happy to grow my beard back when skiing season ends in a few weeks.

3 Likes

A “party barn” as I know it is a drive thru liquor store.

Most of the US is probably horrified at the concept.

7 Likes

Sadly, the drive-thus were all closed a good 10 years ago thanks to a change in State law. There’s a party store in Ann Arbor that’s a converted house which had a drive-thru. I liked going to that one because it’s just damned surreal driving through a house to buy beer.

Drive-thru liquor store: almost a good idea.

8 Likes

Usually if you’re driving through a house, you’ve had enough beer

17 Likes

Those hair plucker things just rip everything out wholesale and get the pain over all at once.

3 Likes

Could you imagine me using that on my mustache? I’d look like John Waters.

(Added to Amazon basket)

8 Likes

They are, and I’ve never understood that. If it’s illegal to drink alcohol in the car, it’s illegal no matter how you buy it. The method by which one gets the beverages from the store to one’s destination doesn’t fucking matter and is irrelevant to where one actually drinks.

Wonder if NM still has drive-thru liquor.

7 Likes

Pennsylvania still has brew-throughs, in some of the western counties anyway.

You pull up and say “Cold case of IC Light, please!” and a strapping young fella loads it into the bed of the pickup while the nice lady who calls you “honey” is ringing up the bill and bringing your change back.

Of course I’m in a plug-in Prius and ordering Lancaster Milk Stout, but it still works the same way.

9 Likes

Exception: Florida.

8 Likes