Verizon demands Netflix stop telling users its network is congested

Yes, it should be common carrier/utility. I agree.

However, if you are Netflix, while you might think they don’t want to pay Comcast for reliable service, what if Netflix can pay Comcast to be a very reliable service and your company that competes with Netflix can’t pay Comcast.

Do you see the advantage for the established players? There’s just no way I’m trusting any corporation has my back here. They’re just going to run the numbers and go with what makes them rich.

1 Like

I wonder what the ROI on the lobbying was.

I know the truth of this through personal experience - streaming Netflix movies is becoming an exercise in frustration, with poor picture quality and long pauses for buffering at very inopportune moments! I hope Netflix sticks to their guns on this. It’s not slanderous if it’s true…

Relevant, especially to the ‘power users’ around here. heh.

“Good Evening, Monsters”

3 Likes

I wonder what the ROI on the lobbying was.

If you spend $1 on lobbying and make $1.01, then you spend $1 million on lobbying.

If the FCC does not enact any meaningful change, then yes, Netflix will edge out any possible startups just because they got into the game first. But they won’t have any choice in the matter will they?
After all, they also run the risk of being crushed by Comcast and Verizon’s own streaming services.

Personally, I don’t think Netflix, Pepsico, PG&E, Comcast or Johnson & Johnson have my best interest as a consumer in mind. But can I ask? What are you referring to as far as not trusting Netflix in this case?

If Netflix caves in and goes along with the way things are, Its not because they enacted a business plan to make things this way, and yes, they’ll take advantage of the situation any way they can. But maybe I’m misunderstandig you here, so correct me if I’m wrong, but you’re coming off as accusing Netflix of orchestrating the death of net neutrality because it could possibly favor them.
(While it is in actuality, directly favoring ISP’s)

Are you saying that they are somehow in collusion with the Verizon - Comcast - AT&T to conspire against net neutrality?

I’m just trying to get a feel here for what I’m missing.

It is without any evidence and a bit of a tinfoil hat that I say, yes, I cannot rule out that the network providers and big bandwidth consumers might be secretly colluding to create a situation that will be wildly profitable for both of them. The cable companies do have a pretty sketchy anti-competitive history…

Conspiracy aside, one might think “Netflix doesn’t want to have to pay for a fast lane” or “the end of Net Neutrality means Netflix can’t compete with Comcast streaming.” And in those contexts, Netflix looks benevolent or facing the same problems as the common folk. (I appreciate your aside and qualification that you have skepticism of corporations in general.)

The reason that I don’t think we’re really on the same side though, is that Netflix is in the position to create models / business plans … run the numbers … and realize that they have nothing to gain financially from protecting Net Neutrality. We common folk are not in that position at all. We stand to lose a lot if we lose neutrality.

If those models say Netflix will actually make more money if we lose neutrality, then I don’t trust them to act in any way other than in their financial interests. And I would not put it past them to use subterfuge (marketing) to make it look like they are the champion of the people while in the same breath working against us. If they look like losers in this deal who are on our side, then we’ll buy more subscriptions.

I was under the impression that it was clearly demonstrated that neither Comcast, nor Verizon had networks that were congested. Actively denying traffic that customers are asking for is not congestion.

1 Like

Ah, I get your point now, THANKS! :smile:

Yeah, this could really hurt Verizon’s sterling reputation and drive its customers to pursue service from one of the many other choices they have in the thriving competitive free market that is the American broadband Internet industry.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.