Very cheap laser printer toner cartridges

so you were the other rabbit in that hole!

when you are checking light fastness rating of pigment powders and drilling holes in cartridges, then it is indeed time to step back and re-evaluate. I’m glad i came to my sense before i bought the wide format printer that works on canvas.

4 Likes

It was like crack for the photo freak already inclined to that kind of geekery. I distinctly remember looking at some color laser prints from a client around 2001 and thinking: “you know, from more than 2 feet away these look damn good!”

Around the same time I was messing with ray traced rendering of 3d cad models, another thing I have not done since. Sketchup’s basic render engine is plenty good for showing stuff to people.

2 Likes

Yeah, for the most part. But there are times when I need it now, and the nearest Costco is something like 40 miles away.

Still, we do use Costco’s photo center pretty heavily, even the canvas printing division, through which we output a lot of our digital work for our shows.

Hazel?

We’ve never had the room (and I’ve had day jobs where maintenance on those devices was a nightmare). So that, at least, was never an option.

2 Likes

In the 70’s my dad, who was a sales rep for architectural products like lighting and wall coverings, repped a company doing large scale jet printed fabric murals at a time when jet printing was virtually unknown. We’re talking like 10m square. The fabric was wrapped on a drum that rotated past the heads. I wonder what the current tech is to do that? It’s got to be better than that was, it was like 10dpi.

2 Likes

full disclosure, i’m not totally out of the woods…

i do have a xerox thermal wax phaser printer. prints from that are UV fast, waterproof, and so rich in color and look so good, they put magazine pages to shame. It is also pretty cheap per page…so long as you never turn it off. the cleaning process to shut it down and start it back up cost more in solid wax ink then a 300 page print run. so i only use it for production runs on stuff. cheap brother color laser for the day to day rando prints.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.