Walking car design proposed

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/08/walking-car-design-proposed.html

2 Likes

Like a cross between the art of Simon Stålenhag and Syd Mead.

3 Likes

This concept harkens back to the GE walking truck Demonstrators of the 60’s.hqdefault

8 Likes

I’m not sure I can see these zooming down the interstate.

3 Likes

#notAllSpider-LeggedRobots

9 Likes

The possibilities are endless. Fording deep streams, double decker street parking…I got nothing.

5 Likes

Kenny knows how to park.

8 Likes

It kinda looks like it should be pulled along by a team of robot horses with a coachdroid in a top hat.

3 Likes

Where do I sign the lease?

I’d rather ride in/on the BD Dog of Doom.

I’m enough of a pedant to point out that is an M10 Achilles tank destroyer rather than an M4 Sherman tank.

5 Likes

Unless you live in a timeline where tank treads were invented.

Seriously, Boston Dynamics is cool and all but the real reason no one has put their walking tech to practical use yet is because humanity figured out the “how to build a vehicle that can cross rough terrain here wheels don’t work” in the 19th Century.

2 Likes

I’m sure that this will enable all kinds of stupid, not previously imaginable.

3 Likes

Is it wrong that I was totally waiting for someone to point out it wasn’t a Sherman tank…? :smirk:

4 Likes

How long until this is the only fashionable way to get to goat yoga classes after dropping little Imogen and Milo at preschool?

2 Likes

When I read the headline, my first thought…

10 Likes

Will Boston Dynamics soon have serious competition?

Looking forward to seeing the Boston Dynamics bot battle it out to the death with Hyundai bot

3 Likes

This makes something come to mind…

I was trying to find a GIF of a dog on roller skates, but this will have to do…

6 Likes

It’s cute but overly complicated and impractical.

The one advantage over treads is higher efficiency on smooth roads, but that sort of assumes you’re not using the fabulously expensive walking system most of the time. It’s the kind of thing you might see on a Mars rover–something that mostly wants to drive across a dusty plateau most of the time, but occasionally has to rock hop or get itself out of hidden craters without assistance, and doesn’t have to be so beefy because the gravity is lighter.

2 Likes

Hyundai has a come a long way… I still remember their death trap cars from the 90’s. But lately they are on par with a lot of other offerings. Still, they aren’t who I’ll look to for my first walking robo-car.

1 Like