Wall Street Journal reporter eats poison oak leaves to become immune — risking dreaded itchy butt

When I lived in Soutch Carolina, and made sure to avoid the deeper woods because poison ivy grew everywhere (and I react badly), I ended up chatting with a fireman about how they dealt. When they had to go deep into the woods to put out fires, they used to use a cup of clorox in a bathtub full of water, dried you out something horrible, but the oil was 100% eliminated.

1 Like

Oh no, that wasn’t what I was implying, sorry. In fact, I’ve never known anyone who was prone to reacting that it was remotely effective for. Even though I don’t react, I immediately scrub down with jewelweed and a soapy cold water wash. What I was apparently failing to get across is that people who are most susceptible seem to rapidly absorb the oil and therefore anything other than an immediate scrubbing is usually not effective. Maybe tecnu works for immediate remediation, but being as heavily exposed as I am, jewelweed, soap and scrubbing immediately after potential contact has at least prevented me and my kids from ever developing symptoms. Sometimes the simplest solution just can’t be beat.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.