Want to live in a yurt? Why not 'Do It Yurtself.'

That yurts.

1 Like

Want to live in a yurt?

Why yes! Yes I do want to live in a yurt, in fact.

1 Like

The latticework is actually the structural wall of the yurt.

Stop yurting yourself. Stop yurting yourself.

3 Likes

Airstreams are way fewer square feet of space. A “almost” 40ft 5th wheal trailer with multiple push out sections is well under 500 sq ft. This yurt was close to 1000 (allowing double counting of the bedroom loft space). You won’t have a king sized bed surrounded by plants with a spacious view.

The airstream has other advantages (easier to move, better insulation, more modern convinces…), but for a fixed site install a big Yurt has some real advantages.

1 Like

If you’re on a budget…

If I saw that in the woods, I’d back off. No telling what might emerge from the cocoon!

3 Likes

Checked the temperature in Mongolia lately? They seemed (and seem) to work there tolerably well.There are a few good insulating options with the modern versions on sale in the States. Plenty of youtube accounts of people living in them in cold climes - need a good supply of firewood tho.

The Mongolian yurts are kept at livable temperatures by constantly burning dung and the inhabitants wearing lots of clothing. You can make a home out of ice, but that doesn’t mean it’s a comfortable temperature inside. People make due with what they’ve got, and to build to local expectations/requirements. We’ve got the materials that one doesn’t need to constantly run a heater nor wear outdoor clothes to stay warm.

Beautiful/sad song from the area where folks knew what they were doing with a yurt:

1 Like

But it yurts so good.

This reminds me of a contestant on the reality show Alone. I didn’t watch it regularly, but there was one man who built his shelter from scratch and struggled less with the challenges. It was the isolation that got to him in the end, so he quit when most viewers probably expected him to outlast the others very easily.

1 Like

The issue I always have with things like this (yurts, tiny homes, etc) is the unspoken privilege in them. You still need a piece of land on which to put them, access to that land, likely a car to get to and from that land, a well dug, septic system, possibly power run to the site, etc.

For a living situation that is space efficient and doesn’t require permanent land space, an RV always seems like a better choice to me. They are a very refined technology and can be found at every size and price point.

Tiny homes (or deluxe yurts) on a big piece of beautiful land just strikes me as poverty tourism.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.