Watch along as a YouTuber builds V8 powered Tesla

Jaguar make a combined motor/battery pack the same dimensions as their V12 that bolts right in to most vintage Jags.

6 Likes
7 Likes

Perfect car for that, as they are extremely stable.

1 Like

Less impressive than it sounds- those things could do a surprising amount of off-reading even when basically stock:

5 Likes

I have to admit i’m not a car person at all normally, i just find these rebuilds fascinating on YT even though i’m relatively clueless :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Actually a fairly popular project, as an early Corvair body matches up very well to a Chevy Blazer chassis and doesn’t require much extra bracing, being a unibody.

This is also a good reason to have a national right-to-repair law.

4 Likes

Son you’re gonna drive me to drinkin’ if you don’t stop driving that hot rod Tesla.

Not quite the same ring.

I think that it would have been FAR MOAR clever (although not nearly as clicky) if they had modified the Tesla by adding three or four more sockets behind little doors for the competing fast charger standards.

3 Likes

It would be, if we had that. We don’t, in North America we have J1772 for L2 charging, CCS for L3 charging, with ChaDeMo as an also-ran and Tesla’s connector as a proprietary non-standard. So that’s zero competing standards for L2, and at most three for L3. You can argue either way whether Tesla’s proprietary thing is good, or bad, for Tesla drivers. It’s hard to argue that drivers of any other vehicles have a say in the question (though I’m sure someone is willing to give it the old college try). But in any case seven is hyperbole.

Easy, yes. Cheap, no. That’s the big barrier for back-conversion of ICE vehicles right now. I have a couple of vehicles I’d love to do this to, but a reliable decent range conversion will run $15,000-$20,000, even if you DIY it. The reasonably priced kits out there don’t include batteries, which are not easy to get aftermarket. There are lots of shade tree YouTube-grade conversions out there, but they are stunt projects that don’t result in a reliable daily driver with good range that runs in all weather conditions. They will forever be project cars.

The kits are improving all the time, but it is far from the easy no-brainer many boosters make it sound like.

2 Likes

seven is hyperbole

Yes, I’m aware. I was engaging in hyperbole.

But no, you can’t argue either way for Tesla’s competing standard. It’s ALWAYS bad when a corporation controls a standard. Always. Standards should NOT be proprietary. At best, the government should declare Tesla the “winner” and then pass legislation taking it out of Tesla’s hands entirely.

1 Like
1 Like

See, I told you someone would be along to take up the contrary position! I wasn’t necessarily expecting you to be so prompt.

I admire your certitude but of course one can argue that Tesla’s proprietary connector benefits Tesla drivers: it means I’m not competing with ID.4s and Mustangs and whatever when I charge. One can argue the other way, too, because I don’t have easy access to CCS or ChaDeMo chargers — either requires a bulky and expensive adapter, that I don’t have.

But it’s not clear what position you’re even taking, other than the dogmatic “proprietary connectors are bad, m’kay?” one. If you’d like to articulate a position that’s more specific than “you can’t argue that” I’d be glad to discuss.

Yeah, people already reporting using CCS adapters successfully, although I think the one that’s shipping is more expensive than that, and is also reported to be a mite tetchy.

We have examples IN THIS THREAD of Tesla cutting off people from using their chargers if they get a Tesla second hand and forcing them to pay huge fees to reconnect to the network. And they haven’t even become the standard yet.

I repeat: letting a single corporation dictate use and terms of a standard for recharging automobiles is going to be a shit show of epic proportions. If Tesla chargers become the defacto standard, Tesla will do everything it can to drive people to its own automobile offerings. They will cut off other cars at a whim. They will charge you usury fees to reconnect a used Tesla to the charging network. They will charge other manufacturers insane fees to use the network that jack up the price of their electric offerings. This is a bad, rotten, no good idea that should be nixed now before it’s too late. It’s no different than letting Microsoft add Explorer to its OS to wipe out Netscape and corner the market on internet access… and consumers WON that case. Their competing bullshit web protocols were a nightmare for web developers for years and caused endless headaches and costs.

Corporations are only good at one thing: making money. And they will use every trick in the book to make more of it. Tesla is no different than any other. Once they have a monopoly on chargers, we’ll all be paying through the nose for it, whether or not we buy a Tesla.

Public standard, agreed upon by all manufacturers, is absolutely the only way to go on this topic. There’s nothing to debate here. It’s dumb to even consider letting one corporation control the charging network.

4 Likes

let the church say amen GIF

4 Likes

Can’t agree enough here.

EV charging NEEDs to be a single public standard mandated on all vehicles. overwise you just descend into a private monopoly or the slightly lesser clusterfuck of hundreds of incompatable chargers (ie, pre USB mobile phones)

4 Likes

And if wishes were horses, beggars would ride. Tesla’s connector isn’t and won’t become the defacto standard. CCS has won.

That’s really the only way we’re going to get a wide-scale shift to EVs in the first place, if we get the federal government to invest in the public infrastructure we need to make them a viable alternative to gasoline engines. We did that for cars in the first place…

Not to put words in @cepheus42, but it doesn’t seem like they’re advocating for the Tesla’s connector to become standard, but rather that there is no standard right now as mandated by federal regulation or the law? If you have some evidence that they have created some policy to have one or the other be a standard, then please feel free to post that?

5 Likes