WATCH: Mittens filled with bullet ants cause intense pain

The Bullet Ant Condom also didn’t sell well…

If you had spent any of that time here, then you would know that BB has always been a mix of original articles and aggregated links.

1 Like

I don’t see them. Adblock ate them, perhaps?
I don’t remember tweaking the settings for this place specifically but the “social web” irritates me to hell and back three times, and I may have some setting somewhere that obliterates these things.

2 Likes

‘Remove This Object’ says my mighty right-click. ‘OK Boss!’ says my obedient browser.

4 Likes

Needless, unpleasant things happen to children in your culture, and needless, unpleasant things happen to children in another culture.

…And the lesson you take from this is that they’re both okay? That everyone is morally required to suffer unnecessarily? Seems like the sane conclusion would be that they’re both needless and unpleasant.

Longer.

But to get right to the point: if you don’t like this site, don’t waste any time or energy coming here. End of story.

1 Like

I guess this makes sense if you live in the forest that has these damn buggers in it and have to build up some sort of tolerance.

I’ve been on the internet since 1990 and don’t find twitter and facebook link buttons that irritating.

Oh yes, Get off my lawn.

Grants them immunity to tasers.

Perhaps in the given culture/environment there is a need for people to be able to willingly endure pain, without which the group’s survival would be imperiled. In such case, it is not unnecessary.

Hypothesis: the other example, with the education, could be interpreted as a similar ritual that demonstrates willingness to perform pointless tasks and, more importantly, to willingly defer to an imposed authority. Which in turn seems to be required by “our” environment.

Wouldn’t it be easier to bury him alive in an anthill?

1 Like

Easier, perhaps, but not as satisfying.

1 Like

Hang on, why not both?

3 Likes

Not as long as you have, today.

2 Likes

So the show lasts longer?

He was my Governor. The two other branches of the MA gov’t were not unlike a filling with by bullet ants and a burying of him in an anthill, metaphorically speaking.

He’s a good sport, that Mittens.

1 Like

Wanna start a meme? I hear Serano Genomics can stand to get taken down a peg XD

It’s definitely cruel, and (at the (miminal) risk of being accused of brutal ethnocentric cultural imperialism) I’d be inclined to say that ‘ethically fucked up’ may also apply; but I’d actually be interested to know if ‘stupid’ applies or not.

Some cultural things are, indeed, stupid. No particular benefits, persist only because “This is what has always been done”, etc. However, some cultural things(while probably not the most efficient implementation), do serve some sort of purpose.

In this case, I’d be curious to know if there is some logistical constraint being served: Are there things that being a fully-adultified-male requires that are in short supply (atrociously high mortality in childbirth leading to a lack of eligible partners would be my default guess, possibly along with resource constraints that make raising children a problem)? Does the society have some use for the loser-men who can’t hack it, and use the initiation process as a means for social stratification in absence of levels of accumulated property that would support stratification based on wealth?

This is not to say that people don’t do dumb stuff just because dumb stuff has always been done since time immemorial; but it never hurts to at least keep the possibility of an essentially economic purpose being served by something visible as a cultural practice.

(And no, I definitely encountered no historians and social scientists with nontrivial sympathies for marxist interpretations of culture in college. Why do you ask?)

I wonder if it’s a hazing/unit cohesion/boot camp type conditioning thing, designed to create people capable of, and dependably able to, endure high levels of adversity, or if it’s the equivalent of the weeder courses that keep less motivated candidates away from med school?

1 Like

Reading YouTube comments is the mental equivalent of these ant mitts.

5 Likes