Watch this TV channel switch from black and white to color broadcasting in 1967

In Germany they had a minister (the later Chancellor Bradt) give a speech and then push a big button.
Unfortunately, you could see that the button he pressed wasn’t the one switching to color. Somebody else did that a few seconds too early.

(edit: looks like Brandt wasn’t yet chancellor at the time)

4 Likes

Makes sense to me: I’ve had cats move around to the back of the monitor to see if whatever it was they were following on the screen got out the back. It’s as likely an explanation as any, right?

4 Likes

I always thought the little people were INSIDE the tv.

3 Likes

That’s weird, Dude. /s

5 Likes

Also because the early cameras didn’t have much of a color gamut or dynamic range. They were barely colour, you might say. They had to oversaturate everything in the set decoration to compensate.

4 Likes

Honest to gods, when I was <5 yrs old, I sincerely thought there were small people inside my dad’s stereo speakers. It was freaky. I hated mannequins, too; again, freaky.

3 Likes

How they made the system backwards compatible is an interesting story-

5 Likes

I tried to speak back to Mr. Rogers by talking into the remote control sensor on our TV. It had a sort of grill over it so it looked like some sort of microphone or receiver (it was one of those early ultrasonic remotes). There’s a lot of reasons it never worked. :joy:

6 Likes

Your comment does not have nearly enough likes.

Have you ever checked to confirm that there aren’t?

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.