Watch unpaid contractor destroy new bathroom with a sledgehammer

Following the reddit thread it was bigger than that. The workmanship was terrible and the homeowner was withholding payment to dispute the quality of work. It was horrifically bad. I, a rank amateur, could do a better tiling and grouting job than this guy did.

1 Like

Nice job! I did a couple small tiling jobs in our last house, also was surprised even while learning at how easy it was to do a way better job than those idjits. Just takes patience and a desire to make it look just right.

4 Likes

Happy cake day!

5 Likes

Thanks!

4 Likes

I was hoping the contractor would ask, “Is anybody going to pay for this demolition?” and when nobody said yes, he would rebuild the bathroom out of spite.

7 Likes

It was remarkably stupid of him to get right up in the camera like that so people know who not to hire in the future, assuming he actually has and retains his contractor’s license. IANAL, but he helpfully committed a number of felonies right there on video - should make the lawsuit go so much easier.

3 Likes

What did he do that was a felony?

The bathroom, once installed, was no longer his property - a lien against the property was his civil remedy were the bill to be past due (which is was not, given that the job wasn’t actually finished or signed off on). His own bill for services is proof that the destroyed property was worth thousands of dollars (as will the bill for the subsequent contractor who cleans up his mess and has to do the job over from scratch), almost certainly meeting the felony level of criminal property damage.

4 Likes

Thousands of dollars for that?! Now I see who the real criminal is here.

ETA: I’m not entirely kidding. I really thought I was looking at hundreds of dollars worth of damage, not thousands.

Well, again, not a lawyer, but in Colorado (i think it said Colorado somewhere) 1st degree (“someone’s home”) criminal trespass is a felony. I’ll bet that video is enough to make a reasonable assertion that that sledge was a weapon as well. verbal threats. Destruction of property - as has been pointed out, his recourse for non-payment was a property lien, and maybe court - not to come in and bust up the place. A good lawyer will no doubt be able to pick out many more issues by virtue of this moron doing his crimes on camera - a camera he knew was there. You gotta love dumb criminals.

4 Likes

The video doesn’t make it clear how or why he was in the house. I just don’t see felony charges sticking. It looks to me like a couple misdemeanors, but I guess it comes down to the value of the damage.

Other sources claim they tricked the neighbor into letting them in.

3 Likes

Never had a bathroom remodeled, I gather? :wink: A nice full remodel will typically run you around $30,000. Repairing what that guy did (if it can even be fixed without starting over, which I doubt) is easily $10,000.

6 Likes

What did they use for grout, a healthy heaping of meth?

3 Likes

Toothpaste

6 Likes

I mean, it was right there, right?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.