Wearing an activity tracker gives insurance companies the data they need to discriminate against people like you

That’s pretty much how it was intended, as well as a joke about how pedantic many of us often are.

Personally, I have a specific meme and greeting reserved for when I think we’re dealing with an obvious troll, paid or otherwise.

(The concerned kitty above isn’t it.)

2 Likes

I’m a credentialed actuary and work in a research position in the Property & Casualty insurance industry. These statements make me cringe. Obviously, P&C insurance (e.g. home, auto) is different than life or health, but segmenting risk, regardless of industry, isn’t there to increase rates but to increase equity in rates across insureds. In other words, the average rate doesn’t change but the rates for individuals become more equitable. In fact, the average rates - in P&C at least - must be approved by state regulators, in every state the insurer does business.

2 Likes

Remind me, how many laws were broken by lenders in the run-up to the housing bubble? (etc. etc.)

The law is an impedance to profit, but certainly not a barrier. Or else you thought there was another reason corporations drop billions on lawyers… (senators, judges, presidents…)

Or to paraphrase the populist W.J. Bryan, Gentlemen, my office is yours.

These posts are about manufacturing outrage not about reality

[quote=“Owly, post:38, topic:95676”]
That was an optional fitness challenge meant to motivate you through competition - not punish you. You noted the insurance was expensive, and that is probably because everyone was out of shape and costly to the program. Hence the incentives to get moving.[/quote]

Strangely, that was the most fitness and health-oriented workplace I’ve ever been in, filled with athletic types. It would be only a slight exaggeration to say we had people who ran marathons during their lunch break just for fun. At one point we had an environmentalist initiative (to reduce carbon emissions) and as part of that people literally volunteered to jog across the city carrying the interoffice mail to the other building so there would be one less vehicle on the road.

I think the insurance was expensive because that made it cheap for the company, and they knew that most employees would do fine on the challenges to lower the rates.

I believe you. But the last few years have seen some craziness with regards to data collection, big data processing, and misuse. And once it’s stored, it’s there until someone loses it or accidentally deletes it. And of course, health care shouldn’t be tied to employers in the first place. But all of that is bigger issues.

1 Like

Where did you work that had 3-4 hour lunch breaks?!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.