WeWork sounds like a real piece of work

Seriously. I was out of the office that week, but our janitors wouldn’t cross their picket line. So our office didn’t get cleaned either. (Mind you: I don’t cross picket lines either, so I was proud of them, and I wouldn’t have gone in in any case)

4 Likes

It’s the idea, the following, the Wall Street buzz, the brand. WeWork boardmembers can bail by selling to a huge dumb company like Facebook or (more probably) Microsoft, and stuff their pockets. Microsoft adds another idea to its gigantic portfolio of failed ideas, that they were trying to get to catch fire in the public imagination, and WeWork is effectively absorbed. These giants are always sweeping up potential competition before it gets too well established to threaten them, even ones that seem WAY out there on the non-viable end of the business spectrum.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-09-20/wework-wewait-weworry-what-s-next-for-embattled-adam-neumann

2 Likes

Capitalism is confusing.

1 Like

Real startups with a hope of survival are not renting faux-flashy work space. They’re a small group collaborating over Skype or Discord and meeting, when needed, at a bar or library. When they need a more permanent location, they scrounge up something for free or barter, and get by with third-hand office furniture.

Renting space at WeWork is for “idea guys” who want to hire a platoon of hungry, second tier programmers to duct tape some crappy app together so they can raise money from VCs. The “cool” office space is to attract the dumb, underpaid web-devs.

1 Like

Why do entrepreneurs feel it necessary to create a cult rather than, you know, a business?

1 Like

Purposely, so that real people can’t take part beyond their day-to-day lives. The learning curve, even the language, is intentionally steep.

More to the point, capitalism is designed around the needs of machines, not people. Human drives and desires are irrelevant, unless a) the machine is designed to exploit them, and b) the desire comes from the machine’s designers’ avarice. Cui bono, in the Biercian sense.

1 Like

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-09-22/a-brief-history-of-wework-the-flying-startup-facing-turbulence

The sharks are circling this latest exploit. This is the free market. Somebody asked above why anyone would fight over this dumpster fire. Here’s why.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.