What happens when you steadily ramp up the speed at which you listen to podcasts

It’s amazing how this happens. I want more research on this effect.

Frequently if I’ve been watching a video at 1.5 and 1.75, and switch back to 1x, everything sounds soooo sloooow that I wonder if YouTube got messed up. I’ll reload just to check.

When I finally convice myself that this is the normal way people talk, it still amazes me how sloooow their thoughts seem to be.

(I do worry about the problems this may cause my attention span, or expectations for consuming information, though.)

1 Like

Sanctimony is an invariant of inertial framing.

1 Like

Rewind. Hah.

I still watch video footage.

My recommendation is for Pocket Casts. I use it at 2x except for music podcasts. It does skipping silence. I have saved over 136 days listening to over 178 days of podcasts. You are able to skip ads in user definable increments. You can use your wearOS watch to control it. Podcasts can be Chromecast to TVs or your friendly Google Assistant speakers.

2 Likes

That really gets my goat. How self-important can you be? They must have done dozens of takes and spent hours painfully cutting them together to get all the pauses exactly the right length.

Second Pocket Casts. I actually didn’t know this until I looked through settings after thinking about my listening habits re: this article, but it lets you customize playback effects per podcast feed. So now, I may actually speed up certain ones that I can listen to faster, trim silence for podcasts that need it, and even boost the ones that record quieter. And I love the skip feature. I have my skips forward at 15 seconds, and skips back at 10 seconds. If I mistakenly jump past the end of an ad, I can skip back and usually catch the beginning of the next segment instead of getting the end of the ad. Best money I think I’ve ever spent on an app.

You and @GaudaPrime are saints.

It especially helps for pods that have pre-set ad lengths. Pod Save America always has exactly one minutes at the start and two(?) in the middle. My fast-forward is 30 seconds, so it’s two clicks and then four.

(Wait, is this not a standard feature on all podcast apps? I had no idea this was special.)

Now after hearing you mention settings, I just set Pod Save America to start 60 seconds in every time. Clicks saved!

I find that listening at 1.5 or 2x gets me feeling jangled after a while. But antidote is to go back to 0.5x. Suddenly everyone sounds drunk and relaxed, and, after a short time, I feel relaxed too. Try it!

1 Like

2x for NPR because they talk slow , 1.5 for normal stuff, but I keep it at 1x for comedy for timing.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.