Whatcha Readin'?

A few months back (sometime last year?) I finally interlibraryloaned a copy of Saint Leibowitz and the Wild Horse Woman Walter M. Miller Jr’s long-uncompleted follow-up to A Canticle for Leibowitz, “finished” by Terry Bisson.

Bears discovering rocks sent me back to his website, where I found THIS, his afterword to the French edition.

Anyway, I enjoyed the book. It’s vastly different from the first novel. It’s much… better? It’s better written. It’s more coherent. It takes a small, brief period of time – a few decades after the second part of ACFL – and spends the whole novel covering two years of church and non-church (such as they may be divisible) politics and machinations in the long-recovering plains. Maybe that doesn’t sound fascinating to you – but the detail of the various societies, churches, movements, geophysical and legendary remnants of the war – I loved it.

OMG, Bisson wrote the novelization of the film of Johnny Mnemonic. My head is failing to warp around this, leading me to look like one of those Deep Dream figures and seriously weirding out others in the office…