Whatcha Readin'?

5 Likes

In a grim but timely coincidence given the recent events, just finished reading Ta-Nahesi Coates “Between the World And Me”. Powerful stuff.

2 Likes

When you finally finish with Melville, if you’re still in the mood for sea stories…ever tried the Aubrey/Maturin books?

They’re vastly superior to the rest of the Napoleonic naval genre; fantastic characters, beautifully written.

1 Like

I love Children of Men, the movie and book are so different though. Not in bad ways at all, but they are almost completely different experiences.

1 Like

Fuck It: The Ultimate Spiritual Way

Not an approach I would reccomend where it comes to political action… but there is a lot of stuff in life that really doesn’t matter and/or can’t be helped by stressing about it. It’s been on my reading list for a while, and after some unnecessary drama yesterday at work compounded by summer SAD, it seemed like a good time to start this one.

I’ve read a few other books on Buddhism and Taoism in general. This one’s really approachable.

2 Likes

Not yet (o god there are so many! ). I’m reading Moby Dick because I read Sea of Glory, and I still need to get to In the Heart of the Sea. So many books, so little time! :tired_face:

3 Likes

The movie has been in my Netflix queue for … years :sweat_smile:–just reading the synopsis I can see they made some, ah, changes.

1 Like

It is a very good movie. I still think about it from time to time which is my hallmark for good movies.

3 Likes

64% of the way through this gargantuan novel (Too Like The Lightning) …

Hᴇʀᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟᴏɴɢ ʟᴀsᴛ, ɪɴ ᴛʜᴇ ᴛɪʀᴇᴅ ᴅᴀʀᴋ ᴏғ ᴍᴏʀɴɪɴɢ, ᴇɴᴅs ᴛʜᴇ Tʜɪʀᴅ Dᴀʏ ᴏғ ᴛʜɪs Hɪsᴛᴏʀʏ.

*facepalm*

2 Likes

Charlie Jane Anders’ All the Birds in the Sky. Borrowed it knowing nothing about it, but had heard good things. I thought it was SF, but apparently not. Also just read Fight Club 2. I should try it again but it is actively hostile to the reader. Typical for Palahniuk, I guess. He’s done (much) better.

2 Likes

Just finished this, which was pretty good:

and am now reading:

and

2 Likes

Does this mean you don’t like it? I picked it up for my sweetie and was going to read it once I’m done with Stephenson…

1 Like

No, it just isn’t SF, more fantasy. I’m enjoying it fine - but I’m only about 1/4 of the way through anyway.

1 Like

Well, let me know what you think when you’re done. I’ve loved reading her over at io9, so I was hoping this was a good read.

1 Like

I just finished Too Like The Lightning and I’m extremely annoyed. Y’all have suckered me into starting an unfinished series. Even if it is a series of two. :no_good:

3 Likes

This is why I haven’t started reading A Song of Ice and Fire yet. I’ve done it repeatedly (and will do it again) for Tad Williams’ books, though (new Osten Ard books coming!).

@Mindysan33 I’m about halfway through All the Birds in the Sky now. Still liking it. Got a nicely humorous tone to it.

2 Likes

:purple_heart::blue_heart::purple_heart::blue_heart::purple_heart::blue_heart::purple_heart::blue_heart:

1 Like

Finished, just unpublished.

1 Like

I’m skeptical. I never thought that Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn needed a sequel. I thought that the series left just about the right amount unresolved.

I’ll probably read it, but I don’t particularly have high hopes for it.

1 Like

There’s 4 of them planned (2 coming out early next year).

A bridging novel, The Heart of What Was Lost, and then a new trilogy, The Last King of Osten Ard.

MST doesn’t need a sequel, but I love Tad Williams’ books, so I’ll take something new from him, even if it’s a retread.

1 Like