Whatcha Readin'?

And that raft he built out of extinct martian trees to get across the desert. Effen BRILLIANT!

4 Likes

#DO NOT JACK THREADS 

NASA was REALLY thinking ahead on equipment because when Watney needed to get under Pathfinder to unhook its petals and remove the shroud, he had THIS right there. Amazing plot device.

3 Likes

If you liked that may I suggest playing “The Long Dark?”

http://hinterlandgames.com/the-long-dark/

2 Likes

OMG THIS IS A BOOKS THREAD  

3 Likes

I tried to respond with an all-caps “you’re not the boss of me” and BBS wouldn’t let me!!

2 Likes

Product review: I saw this Razor at WAL-Mart and had to try it. It’s SMOOOOOOTH! If you are in the market for a new razor, you should definitely try this one.

4 Likes

Can I peel one of those teeny, tiny blades off to excavate the small non-crazy fragments that might be left of my brain?

2 Likes

I’ll take that as a positive review. Next up:

HORTICULTURE ADVICE

then, a little:

CHOREOGRAPHY

...capped off with a fine debate about

CHINCHILLAS

Think this is OT? Well, it’s not. It’s my new book, out in stores in a few weeks, ISBN: 908713489134871634587923465897098130984109873450987234098713098475087916348905189734268792634723487956239874567834580913407895109838903480795098340982734573480920398475543870220394875.

2 Likes

Hey! Anyone wanna send a convoy of postapocalyptic muscle cars to Mars? There’s a talking outhouse!

3 Likes

Oh… and I did finish Pratchett’s last, The Shepherd’s Crown. Brief as it was (it has an ending and everything, but it wasn’t really finished), it was a welcome return and goodbye to the Disc. I don’t have much else going on, literarily, except for Piketty glaring at me everytime I so much as glance in the direction of my Kindle shortcut.

2 Likes

Well, some of us enjoy our literature in an ebook format that includes an audio narration feature. And background music. And supplemental video.

(OK, I just couldn’t figure out how to turn off the “subtitles” option on the DVD player.)

7 Likes

For

3 Likes

hahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahah.

Phorr.

1 Like

Most of the way through Aurora by Kim Stanley Robinson.
His stories always have plenty of Environmentalist talk. The kind of stuff that Climate Change Deniers would hate. And this book is just 90% that kind of stuff. Like a chemistry manual on how to 'balance resources on a big Generation Ship travelling from Earth to another Star.

But, its gotten me in. I read 100 pages of the thing last night, so I have to be finding it interesting.

2 Likes

I just acquired a large collection of epubs. Currently reading Arthur C Clarke’s “Rama” series because it was there. But it’s an ancient scan with an annoying number of typos and weird formatting.

2 Likes

The Cambridge History of Latin America. 6000 pages, so all-y’all Piketty readers can put a cork in it. Finished Ancillary Sword recently. Waiting for October. I’m also having a hard time keeping Leckie’s series distinct in my mind from Banks’ Excession.

3 Likes

Apparently, our reading of Piketty has ground to a halt…

2 Likes

Well… I had some difficulty with his lack of ideas, but the data he presented was quite interesting. He certainly got people talking about economic scholarship in new ways. Angus Maddison is the real hero, though. Economic history is a thing again.

2 Likes

For me, it started as a nice alternative to my official studies. Then I took a break due to finals, and it was really hard to recommit with summer staring me right in the face. I’ll get back to it eventually.

2 Likes