Whatcha Reading? (Picking it up again)

I’m learning a lot about how Hollywood actually works in Don Coscarelli’s memoir:

7 Likes

An industry standard for these type of covert operatives by rep. And out of print with copies going for several hundred bucks. But I found a cheap copy.

Hopefully a little insight on how to avoid it as well. Which could come in handy if things go badly.

6 Likes

This was the only guide I needed:

4 Likes

I’ve heard of them. The work with Nancy Clue.

2 Likes

My go-tos are still the Usborne Detective Guides.

2 Likes

Finished up the Coscarelli memoir, and now am reading The Ballad of Black Tom by Victor LaVelle…

It’s a retelling of The Horror of Red Hook by Lovecraft, and well done so far…

5 Likes

Hey I’ve read that too! Much better than the original, of course. :smirk:

3 Likes

Indeed. In the afterword, he even notes how it’s one of Lovecraft worst stories…

But finished that up last night, and now onto Lovecraft Country by Matt Ruff

5 Likes

Enjoyed that a lot more than the series made from it.
The whole concept is just chef’s kiss and the execution is brilliant.

4 Likes

Oh good! I liked the show, personally, so am looking forward to the book. I think this might be the first book I’ve read by Ruff, who’ve I’ve heard good things about.

2 Likes

Ooh, new Kate Beaton!

I’m sorely tempted, but i see that price is U.S. dollars. Eep!

3 Likes

I thought it was quite cheap when I got it. They sometimes sell those big chunky literary comics at a low price when they are looking at getting mass market sales. I haven’t read yet. It looks fantastic from what I have seen. It’s a gorgeous book though pretty depressing.

Nick Drnaso has a new book as well, acting class, I haven’t picked that up at all. A friend recently reread Sabrina and said it felt depressingly still relevant.

Which is possibly why I haven’t read Kate Beaton yet either.

1 Like

Funny you should mention that, i just read Sabrina recently too, and had the same reaction. Dark, but relevant indeed. Drnaso is great, so I’m glad to hear he has a new book out.

1 Like

Sabrina was excellent. I just lack the inherent optimism at the moment to dive into the follow up (and the courage for Kate Beaton’s new one too).
I look forward to having the strength before Christmas.

1 Like

This arcane tome appeared on my doorstep today, preordered ages ago - a perfect Halloween surprise:

Signed limited edition :sunglasses: hell yeah

9 Likes

That guy’s stuff is great! Like from the imagination of… a prepubescent Dali?

2 Likes

This not-all-rosy review actually makes me more interested in reading Wendell Barry’s newest book:

3 Likes

Had a fun time with this one The Elephant and Macaw Banner which I picked up at WorldCon. A nice bit of sword and magic adventure set in Colonial Brazil. One of the protagonists is a freed slave, and slavery throughout the book is seen as evil. There is also an RPG based on the book, but I’ve never played it.
I have it from the publisher that buying it from Amazon (ugh) or another source is going to be faster and cheaper than getting directly from him, as he has to ship it from Scotland.

Thanks, that’s a thoughtful review. Interesting to see him team up with bell hooks like that (of all people!).

Can’t say it makes me more interested in reading the book, though. Sounds like a lot of warmed-over white southern apologia for the supposedly benign antebellum days, infused with rose-colored nostalgia. Too bad bell hooks didn’t live long enough to suggest some revisions.

1 Like

I bought this one when it was released in the US in October & was saving it for a bit. Just started reading & looking forward to this 20th book in the series.

1 Like