Whatcha Watchin' (Season 2)

Just started watching Firefly Lane. It’s been a while, but I remember really liking the book and sequel.
I hate it when book adaptations change huge, foundational parts of the plot for no apparent reason, so not loving it so far. It’s still an okay story, but just make your own show, don’t pretend to be this other thing.
So far, kind of reminding me of the way “Time Travelers Wife” flipped the basic point.

Japan Sinks: 2020

The best way i can think of to describe finishing this series is like holding your breath under water until your lungs are burning and you’re panicking and then you come up to the surface and take great big gulps of refreshing air and the relief is overwhelming. If you’re thinking of bailing on this early then don’t.

3 Likes

Agreed. I thought the ending was worth the struggle of watching all that unfold. Very much loved the animation style, too.

3 Likes

The whole thing is a roller-coaster of mostly struggle with moments of humanity but that ending sequence is one of the most hopeful and positive and heart warming things i’ve seen in many a year (though the birthday message Ayumu receives did just about end me). I’ve never really got on with this flat, loose style of animation but it does work here and i got the impression some of it was rotoscoped but probably not.

1 Like

I watched the first ep of the Equalizer with Queen Latifah.

It was decent.

1 Like

The impeachment trial!

Where y’all at?

2 Likes

I’m avoiding it for my own health.

7 Likes

7 Likes

So I know I’m on the record earlier in this thread as being fine with Infinity Train only being the one-off season that it was, but I think the creators have done a fabulous job of writing more stories about this wild place without really shaving off any of the mystery about it, and I’m super hype that they’re getting a fourth season.

I heartily recommend all three of the current seasons. They’re well worth your time, and only 10 15-minute episodes each, so it’s not a massive time commitment.

2 Likes

So, apparently there will be competing films about Shirley Chisholm’s 1972 presidential run now?
One with Danai Gurira:

And one with Regina King:

:thinking:

It is LONG past due that we get some Shirley Chisholm love on screen. I still have not seen Ms. America, but I heard that Uzo Aduba did a fantastic job playing her (I think she got an emmy?):

6 Likes

They have to get the energy/intensity right. It was almost like electrical crackling in the air when she was in a room.

6 Likes

I bet!

GIF by Women's History Month

7 Likes

This is basically a live-action Invader Zim

5 Likes

You beat me to it; I was just coming to post about that show. I dig it so far.

Except “Harry” isn’t a total tryhard who always fails, and he’s ‘going native’ a lot faster than Zim ever did.

2 Likes

Weirdly I know tons about that shows production because I listen to Alice Weatherlund’s podcast but I haven’t seen any of it yet. Is it any good? The premise and trailer were promising.

zim-curse-snacks

3 Likes

Dix Pour Cent / Call My Agent on Netflix - great dramedy, très amusant!

6 Likes

Is it just me or is American Gods an incomprehensible mess this season? Not that it didn’t always seem kind of aimless and ad hoc, but wow, wtf.

Sequel coming soon!

11 Likes

Okay… this sounds amazing…

https://www.thewrap.com/spike-lee-produce-gordon-hemingway-and-the-realm-of-cthulu-stefon-bristol-netflix/

2 Likes