Whatcha Watchin' (Season 2)

A friend of mine was raving about it last night, though he actually works in musical theatre. My daughter and I tried it and it was okay but I’m pretty sure we got almost none of the jokes.

If you’ve watched lots of musicals, you’d love it.

2 Likes

I’m assuming it’s a miniseries? I don’t see how an idea like this could stretch over seasons.

2 Likes

Three episodes, I’ve watched two.

ETA I thought there were only three, it seems there are six. So a limited series sure but if it’s successful it has obvious potential for series with different premises.
FWIW my musical theatre mate said that Oklahoma, Carousel, and Music Man should do it for references. I did hear musical quotes from Oklahoma (which I only know as I did sing some of it. For the president at Aras an Uacharáin oddly enough) but I’m not really in the know with musicals

1 Like

Agreed. Cant wait to see what’s in store for the 90s. The narrative run will finally allow them to make some significant changes to the timeline. Will be interesting to see what real world events still occur as the story goes forward.

1 Like

The first 3 eps were very entertaining.

2 Likes

Liking the new He-Man on Netflix so far.

2 Likes

You’re talking about the Ron Moore series which i’d like to see but haven’t as yet, i was referring to the documentary film from the 80s but i suppose either would be good.

1 Like

Whoops. I followed the link and saw my mistake.

Sorry.

Well, I think the current show is fantastic, YMMV of course.

1 Like

I tried watching the first ep of Kevin Smith’s He-Man.

I cannot say the same.

5 Likes

I’ve rewatched most of Prime Suspect with Helen Mirren. It really holds up!

4 Likes

Ok no!

3 Likes

Just caught Black Widow with the fam at the drive-in. It was… fine, I guess? An awful lot of familiar elements that were already used in other Marvel movies though, including but not limited to yet another Captain America imitator, a masked baddie who turns out to be a person who was badly scarred but not killed by the protagonist, a shadowy organization with a plot to subjugate humanity and a big climactic battle aboard an exploding sky fortress.

4 Likes

Did she have a battle against someone with very similar attributes/abilities?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/filmschoolrejects.com/marvel-villains-same-powers/

I think pretty much everyone she battled in this movie had similar attributes/abilities.

Yeah, it was entirely too repetitive and formulaic, unfortunately.

Not to mention, the suspension of disbelief was sorely lacking.

(And I say this as someone who loves the character.)

The chemistry between the new BW and Nat was nice though.

4 Likes

I guess it was naive for me to expect anything different from a movie where the baddie’s superpower is literally the ability to copy things they’ve already seen.

5 Likes

Yeah… that was total weaksauce, and a disservice to the Task Master character from the comics.

2 Likes

I didn’t love it, but I don’t regret having given it a shot. It was probably made better by watching it with friends who also grew up watching the original. One of them was incredibly enthusiastic about it from beginning to end.

I’m watching season 2 of Black Summer which, ironically, takes place in winter. Only a couple episodes in and holy shit is it grim so far. Have to take this one slowly.

1 Like

Maybe the screenwriter’s special ability is to successfully copy previous screenwriters’ work. /s

4 Likes