Whatcha Watchin' (Season 2)

I mean… yeah…

cillian murphy shrug GIF

4 Likes

tom hardy alfie solomons GIF by BBC

The star of the show isn’t so bad either.

Crime drama about undocumented immigrants—the heroine makes incriminating evidence disappear, like CSI in reverse

2 Likes

Started watching this yesterday, and it’s a decent thriller. On Netflix, hopefully not a cliffhanger… :crossed_fingers:t4:

4 Likes

Been meaning to check that out when i saw it there, i’ve always enjoyed watching Bae Doona in previous roles, particularly Sense8.

Watched for Stephen Merchant and he’s pretty convincing as an emotionless killer, it’s just i always have reservations watching dramas of real life cases so close to the actual events.

1 Like

I have seen much of the UK version and now I have started the Norwegian version. That one is surprisingly entertaining, considering that I don’t know the language or any of the contestants. At least there are subtitles.

The less said of the US version, the better.

1 Like

My partner wants to see the US version despite numerous warnings. It’s difficult to accept the fact that, despite his being an incredible performer, Reggie Watts alone can’t make everything great.

1 Like

I thought The Lost Daughter was a muddled mess story wise, but I’m still glad I watched it. Great to see a middle-aged woman as a protagonist who isn’t to be automatically blamed for not bring a “natural” at mothering. And of course Olivia Colman does a fantastic job.

2 Likes

Is she ever not awesome…

go on then olivia colman GIF by BBC

5 Likes

The stakes of The Lost Daughter feel so weighty, the viewing experience so unsettling and transgressive, because the myth Leda’s recollections deftly unravel – that motherhood will come to women naturally, that it will give something without taking something irreparable and valuable away – is so deeply woven into our culture as to be almost invisible. It is everywhere and nowhere, the idea of motherhood as an identity of tenderness, sacrifice, fulfillment and, above all, selflessness. It’s in commonly heard descriptions of motherhood as “my life completely changed”; “I became a different person”; “I found my purpose”; “I met myself”. (Which may be true for some people!) It shapes the image of mom-fluencers and so-called mommy blogs, informs the constant pressure for mothers to optimize every facet of their child’s life, and underpins the norms that, in the US, justify women as the de facto social safety net.

4 Likes

Just watched the pilot; so far so good.

1 Like

The Bonfire of Destiny (ou Le Bazar de la Charité) on Netflix:

3 Likes

Dammit. Like so many other shows imported from Britain they are following the same storylines more or less for the first season, so it is largely a rehash.

However, Rose McIver is as charming as ever so I am compelled to watch it. I probably need to watch those Christmas Prince movies too…

1 Like

This is really great if you haven’t seen it yet…

Might be the best, understated performance I’ve seen from Cage, probably ever. I’m so used to his over-the-top, bombastic performances that this really surprised me.

7 Likes

Sounds good, but how’s the violence?

1 Like

For Pig? There’s really only a couple of scenes I’d call violent… the trailer is kind of misleading in that.

3 Likes

Weird when broadcast TV stations don’t have their audio and video synchronized properly

I guess it’s a hard thing to measure objectively, and engineers aren’t getting fired for not noticing

4 Likes

One of the broadcast digital subchannels I watch will occasionally “freeze” on a single frame of video, sometimes broken up with artifacts, and no sound. If it happens in the evening or at night, it can last for hours, because apparently, nobody at the station monitors the feed. One time, at best guess, the outage lasted for at least six hours. (I checked back in every so often, and eventually gave up and went to bed around midnight… so it could have been longer.)

Back in my college days, the FCC used to have a rule about long periods of “dead air” not being allowed, under penalty of fines. I have no idea if that still applies, or if that type of freeze would qualify… but you’d think somebody in charge at the station would notice, or care. :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes
1 Like

I feel like i really needed this. The reviews have been sniffy which is unfortunate because i found it to be a heartfelt mature take on what The Matrix was always intended to be by the Wachowskis but were not given the freedom to make it. There’s very little subtext here, the film is all about the inherent limitation of binary choices, living life how you want to live it and not how others think you should live it and to stop fucking deadnaming people. It’s all about reclaiming what the red pill means from the arseholes who misappropriated it. Very nice to see some Sense8 actors as well.

Emmet Asher-Perrin nails it as usual…

7 Likes