Whatcha Watchin' (Season 2)

Kinda similar motivations here (“just in case some shit goes awry”) but in the opposite direction: I don’t like having people around when my crazy has a flare-up. Nobody within screaming distance is a positive for me.

And I enjoy a grand spacious view; I like the way in which the desert encourages your mind to expand to the horizon. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that desert regions have tended to produce mystics and prophets.

Different strokes etc. It’d be a dull world without diversity.

3 Likes
2 Likes

The leftovers - leaving me wrung out.

The handmaid’s tale - leaving me wrung out.

1 Like

It’s an episode about a magician who find incontrovertible proof that god exists lol.

1 Like

So, uh, anyone else watching season 3 of Twin Peaks?

4 Likes

Oh god, not yet! I’m counting on it coming out on Netflix, since they seem to have Showtime shows.

How is it so far?

2 Likes

So far, it’s 100% David Lynch :astonished: but it weirdly feels like what it is - the third season that is 25 years after the second. Not a reboot, not a “get the band back together” but a real and pretty natural feeling continuation.

5 Likes

I’ve finished watching MST3K The Return.

Good cast with a lot of funny jokes. None of the episodes will go down as classics but nothing terrible. The new Bot voices only threw me off for a short while and then things were pretty natural feeling. Jonah Ray did a pretty good job stepping into the jumpsuit. And keeping in the commercial bumpers was a very good idea.

However, the invention exchange was always an unfunny aspect of the old show and I was glad when they did away with it during Mike’s run. It hasn’t been a welcome return. The guest stars like NPH didn’t really add much beyond you going, “Hey! Even Seinfeld isn’t making this skit better!” The skits need a lot of work. The guest appearances of the old cast were nice though just to see how they’ve changed.

Tom and Crow moving around the theater was kind of annoying. Between the movie and the jokes there has always been a lot to keep track of and trying to figure out what a silhouette in the corner is up to isn’t helping make it easier.

Overall: 8/10. Will gladly watch another season.

I’m wrapping up Twin Peaks S2, so much fun. Can’t wait to jump into S3.

4 Likes

Does anyone have anything to say about season three of Fargo? I’m empathizing with Chief Burgle, and all the crap she’s having to wade through just to get to her investigation. And the fucking automatic doors…strong symbolism right there.

1 Like

Just finished the third season. It stayed good!

While John Hannah & Lucy Lawless’ characters were sadly - although for obvious reasons - missed, there were enough new ones to fill the void.

My one complaint is that the curious speech pattern they use, where pronouns & prepositions are omitted was turned up to 11 in S3. Where in the early seasons they might have said “Turn your mind to purpose, and focus your effort upon achieving ultimate objective.” it became more like “Turn mind to purpose and focus effort on achieving ultimate objective.”

Just removing a couple of words here and there made it seem both neatly anachronistic and unique, but when they removed basically all of them? Sometimes it seemed like very well read toddlers were planning on who to stab :smiley:

1 Like

Ok, maybe I’ll give it another go. I now recall what pissed me off was a major character getting torso perforated multiple times and recovering. In ~150 bc? You could die from sepsis from a plain cut the way Kal Drago did, never mind collapsed lungs and peritonitis. Yes, I’m a nerd.

Found a “watch list” for Person Of Interest selecting for the arc episodes and avoiding the filler. Not out of S1 yet but definitely an improvement. I gotta say the network requisite fistecuffs is boring. If he were the badass he’s supposed to be no fight would last more than 3 seconds.

Indeed it would.

Back on topic:

So Orphan Black is gonna end with the 5th season, and while I’m not mad, I just hope they do the final season justice; give us a “bang” to go out with, not the ‘whimper’ that seems to have become the standard for many well-liked shows nowadays.

Speaking of which The Get Down got cancelled after only one 2 part season and I am a little miffed about that; for two reasons.

A) It was a kernel of a really good idea that’s been utterly squandered. A for effort, D minus, for poor execution.

1. The second half of the only season was horribly lacking and uneven compared with the first half; it was not nearly as well written, with a much less appealing original soundtrack, and a horribly ambiguous ending that brought no closure whatsoever to any the narrative’s plot arcs.

What a shame.

4 Likes

Just spent the past few weekends re-watching all of the Phantasm films and watching the last one, Ravager, for the first time.

Anyone else think it could have been about deindustrialization? Because it seems like them traveling around, always finding these small towns devastated (and then the last film, where it’s pretty much the entire world now under the Tall Man’s control, with just a rag tag bunch of rebels fighting him and his minions - including Rocky coming back at the end!!!) seems like that could be a major theme of the series.

1 Like

Probably my fault. I’ve had it on my “too watch” list since it was announced and still haven’t gotten to it.

That coveted over 40 white male demographic.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Bookmarked; I’ll check it out once I get home.

T.V. is one of the many, many sites blocked by my job.

2 Likes

They just canceled Sense8 too. A show with multiple queer characters, on the first day of Pride. I am VERY UPSET.

5 Likes

Mother fuckers.

First that garbage that was Iron Fist, now this shit; cancelling well liked shows that need narrative resolution.

I hope there’s enough of fan base to get a Sense8 movie made.

And I hope the Get Down does get rebooted as a stage play.

4 Likes

The Americans (spoilers)

It seems Elizabeth and Philip are deciding to hang it up, and trying to decide when to tell the kids. I think Paige would rock it in the U.S.S.R., especially on the eve of the fall of the Berlin wall. I feel bad for Henry, though. He’s on the verge of something very promising with the computer programming curriculum at the private school.