Whatcha Watchin' (Season 2)

Also see 1934’s Death Takes a Holiday and various related adaptations including the 1998 Brad Pitt movie Meet Joe Black.

ETA: I liked sometimes-collaborator Terry Pratchett’s take on Death too. I think there was a blurb on one of the Discworld novels that went something like “He’s not a bad guy once you get to know him… and everyone does, sooner or later.”

8 Likes

based on the 1924 Italian play La morte in vacanza

:wink:

4 Likes

As others have already mentioned, there are quite a few works where Death is represented as a highly beneficent being just doing the required job…

Regarding BCS fan predictions:

Kim could go to jail. Never once did it occur to me that she might turn herself in.

2 Likes

Welp, according to Neil, it has not been greenlit for a second season…

2 Likes

Bummer; I must have gotten bad info

1 Like

I would have assumed that they had, but maybe the ratings will get them to green light it for another seaons… I want them to at least make it to Brief Lives…

1 Like

Well, shit.

3 Likes

Given how popular it seems, I will be pissed if it gets canceled cause some fucking fragile straight manbaby had a meltdown over “woke” content.

4 Likes

*Every TV exec: Fuck those guys!

What stupid business model makes content and then doesn’t bother making more of the popular stuff!?

*rant

Composure GIF by EVIEWHY

5 Likes

But, both sides! /s

Angry Tyra Banks GIF

4 Likes

Chris Estrada’s show based on his stand-up comedy.

ETA: Okay, I’ve watched the entire season and I have to say it’s pretty good. It’s show mainly about fragile masculinity in California latinx, but still has those cringe moments played for laughs. Holy crap, Fred Armisen and…somebody (my internet search comes up with bupkus) are super-cringe in one episode when they play a billionaire philanthropist couple.

Ginormous tidal wave sweeping inland as Atlantis Attacks seems like a pretty common trope. Or it could just be that coastal countries asked them to help.

THR has reported that not only co-star Neil Patrick Harris said some comments that, “have led to speculation that Gatwa will appear in 2023’s celebrations, a move that could see Tennant’s incarnation of the Doctor regenerate into Gatwa’s,” but there could in fact actually be up to three specials in 2023 timed with Doctor Who’s 60th anniversary.

David Tennant What GIF by Doctor Who

5 Likes

Which fan predictions?

I know there were many predictions about who Marion was, many of which were blown up in this episode. There’s still the possibility she’s Kim, Howard, or Walter’s mother. Or maybe there is no connection and she’s just a mom who did she best she could after being dealt a shitty hand in life.

In “Breaking Bad” I definitely did not like where things were headed (for Jimmy) — he had been getting really sloppy, so I knew that him bumbling through a B&E that he clearly knew was unnecessary would not go well. Then during the robbery, he gets greedy by stealing items, leaves behind a glass with his DNA, considers murdering the occupant, and makes a narrow escape.

By the time he calls Marion he’s in full-on sleazebag mode and she’s no dummy. She was already suspicious about Gene at this point, and him blabbing about ABQ law despite claiming he had never been there sealed it for her. I was worried Gene might try to kill her but her “I trusted you” seemed to really cut him deep giving him a “what the hell am I doing?” realization. As Rupert Holmes foreshadowed earlier in the episode, he made his Escape leading us into the unknowns about what will happen in the finale.

Either way, I’m sure that it’s all over for him. I don’t know how it will play out, but I don’t see a happy ending. I don’t see him being murdered. I don’t see him committing suicide or going out in a hail of gunfire - that’s never been his MO. I don’t see him getting Hoovered into yet another life. He just doesn’t have the money and Galbraith would certainly refuse given how hot the situation is. I definitely don’t see any reunion with Kim — she made sure of this. It seems to me that the best possible outcome at this point is Jimmy gets arrested and uses his skills as a lawyer and mouth to be a jailhouse hero. I guess we’ll see.

What an amazing show. There’s going to be a hole in my life when it’s over.

3 Likes

None of that nonsense; people can be really obtuse with the illogical shit they come up with.

SMH

No I mean the simplest, most likely one:

That Kim might go to jail. I admit that either of them confessing never even once occurred to me.

4 Likes

My interpretation of that episode was that both Kim and Saul reached a breaking point where they couldn’t keep living the lies they constructed for themselves. Kim deals with the guilt of her past by finally coming clean to the D.A. and Howard’s widow, while Jimmy/Saul impulsively seeks out higher and higher risk hustles in the subconscious hope of finally getting caught. After all these years he’d rather go down as Saul Goodman than continue living as Gene Takovic.

3 Likes

Perhaps.

We shall see next week.

Also I must say it; anyone who seriously theorized that Kim somehow turned into ‘Windy Wendy,’ the prostitute, is a freakin’ idiot.

5 Likes

Da fuq? I hadn’t heard that one. I assume said idiots shared the theory before Wendy had her cameo in the last season of Better Call Saul.

3 Likes

You are correct. Still, what utter dullards…

3 Likes

I never really thought she was supposed to be anyone significant, apart from another old lady Saul thought he could take advantage of. Much like the Sandpiper residents but this time his over confidence was his undoing. I thought it was masterfully done how they introduced the Saul paraphernalia - Marco’s ring, bluetooth earpiece, the Chi massager… so with this episode being called Breaking Bad you knew what was coming would be this series’ Ozymandias episode. A more understated one perhaps but i still felt his world drop from underneath him when he looked at that laptop screen (great use of colour there as well).

The Office Yes GIF

1 Like