Whatcha Watchin' (Season 2)

Right?

But if you’ve been watching regularly, you knew that was coming from the moment Rachel discovered that her bionic eye was actually spyware for PT.

It was only a matter of how and when.

Still, as much as I’ve disliked her from the start, I have to admit that Rachel Duncan is hardcore. That was some Helena-level badassery there…

4 Likes

I went back and forth between expecting her to commit suicide, given her heavy drinking and air of depression after the rug was pulled out from under her, and expecting what actually happened. But now that she realizes she’s just another lab rat, what next? Does she make common cause with the sestras, and would they ever accept her?

3 Likes

Suicide?
Rachel???
Never; that corporate-raised sociopath is too invested in herself and far too vindictive to ever go out so easily.

I don’t know how much help she’ll be to the Ledas going forward, but I do know she’s finally hit her breaking point with the Neolution movement.

No matter what she did for them, they still never really accepted her; and PT’s lie about her emancipation combined with the discovery that he’s been using her as a mere spyware tool this whole time was the final straw.
It was obvious in her venomous reply to Kira’s question, “Who hurt you?” “ALL OF THEM!”

Rachel’s straight about to burn that shit down, even if it kills her in the process…

2 Likes

I don’t know. She has been all about power and control, and has just been shown she has little of either. Her reply “All of them!” seemed to come as a sudden jolt of self-awareness. Given how brittle she has always been, it wouldn’t have surprised me if the writers had had her commit suicide, but I’m glad they chose the ending they did, because I really want to see what she does now. She would be a valuable ally to the other clones, if they could ever trust her.

2 Likes

At this point, working with Rachel may become a necessary evil before it’s all said and done, but Ledas like Helena, Cosima and especially Sarah will never really trust or like her. And who could blame them?

3 Likes

Excuse me, Le Tour is pretty hardcore.

1 Like

Farewell to Orphan Black and Clone Club; you will be missed.

And again it cannot be said enough how amazing Tatiana Maslany is; I cant count the number of times that I forgot that it was all just one actress playing many different roles; flawlessly.

2 Likes

Seriously, she was so amazing that you could tell when she was playing one clone pretending to be a different clone. Without them even saying it, you could go “That’s Alison pretending to be Sarah.”

2 Likes

Indeed; her skills are impeccable.

In other ‘whatcha watchin’ news, i just finished binging the Defenders last night.

4 Likes

That dude cannot act for shit.

3 Likes

Finn Jones?

No, indeed he can not; but by the time the bad reviews for Iron Fist came out, Marvel had already started production on the Defenders.

:frowning:

Confession; I fast-fowarded nearly all the scenes where he has more than a line or two. That made his presence somewhat more tolerable.

3 Likes

Yeah, his character is still terrible but at least superlative performances from the other three make up for it, including the superb scott glenn as stick. I get the impression the writers are having fun with how badly the character has been received by having other characters comment on how dumb and impulsive this iron fist is but it only further damages the credibility of this supposed elite k’un lun warrior. I did laugh at the line from sowande in episode 5 - “you are the dumbest iron first yet”.

3 Likes

Right?

I was like:

There were a few nice burns like that, scattered throughout the season; a winking nod to the fans and how poorly Iron Fist was done.

4 Likes

What bugs me is how he delivers EVERY damn line in that hoarse rasp like it’s the most vital and life-changing piece of info. We get it dude, you’re focusing your chi. Calm down and stop glaring.

I think Marvel was like “Jessica Jones was unlikable and everyone loved that show! Let’s make another unlikable hero, but he can be a rich white dude!” Snore.

2 Likes

Right on; the melodrama is unreal.

Another gem:

“The immortal Iron Fist is still a thundering dumbass.”

--Stick
1 Like

My favorite part was Luke Cage calling him on his privilege 10 seconds after meeting him. Thaaaaaaank yoouuuuuu. “The Hand took everything from me!” Dude, you’re a billionaire with magic powers stfu.

8 Likes

That was spot on.

1 Like

For the most part, like 99% of the time, Marvel’s casting is so DEAD ON that you literally can’t picture anyone else in the role. I fully expect Robert Downey Jr. to just change his name to Tony Stark. I think Kristen Ritter is odd-looking (my family all thinks she’s super hot and I’m a lunatic) but she’s a perfect Jessica Jones. Chris Evans is honestly 100% Captain America and I think they actually found the real Luke Cage.

Finn Jones is like a bland IKEA sofa. I think I cared less about Iron Fist after watching than I did before.

6 Likes

I skipped Iron Fist so I’m not rightly sure, but is Danny Rand’s character supposed to be a complete moron? It’s bad enough that the guy who is supposed to be the greatest martial arts fighter in the world isn’t even the best martial arts fighter in the Defenders. I just about lost it when he fell for Elektra’s so-obvious-it-doesen’t-even-count-as-a-trick gimmick to open the secret door.

Elektra: This is a magical door that can only be opened with your very special fist.
Danny: You mean like in “Hellboy?”
Elektra: Yeah pretty much.
Danny: Well that’s too bad for you because I’m not gonna punch it.
Elektra: Fine, but would you punch… me??
Danny: Oh you better believe it!

[Danny throws punch at Elektra, who dodges so his fist hits the door]

Danny: Oh dear God I am a thundering dumbass.

6 Likes

I wish someone would have “the talk” with Batman one of these days. “You have billions of dollars at your disposal and your plan to make the world a better place is to beat up people in alleyways?”

2 Likes