Whatcha Watchin' (Season 2)

This has been covered extensively (maybe not here). It’s not just you.

But hey, maybe Force kung fu is the excuse? I dunno.

3 Likes

Not a new problem. Remember when a bunch of teddy bears massacred them with sticks and pebbles on Endor?

6 Likes

@anon75430791 & @Brainspore

I have developed a critical eye in my old age. At 18 - 20 I was totally oooh space ships, aliens, robots, space, space, space and did not think about the nonsensical stuff.

4 Likes

I finished the Looming Tower last month. <-- very good series.

Just finished Bill Nye Saves the World. <-- meh series. Some of the topics are interesting. I watched Bill Nye as a kid so I generally enjoy an episode.

I’m rewatching Aqua Teen Hunger Force. <-- very funny series.

I heard that Solo was actually inbetween Revenge of the Sith and Rogue One. I also loved Solo, very good origin story. Even if… Han Solo dies in the 1st sequel movie.

i.e. the current order of the series being:

The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, Revenge of the Sith, Solo, then Rogue One, A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, The Force Awakens, and finally The Last Jedi.

Cnet and many other media outlets back me up https://www.cnet.com/news/solo-a-star-wars-story-where-are-we-on-the-timeline/

Furthermore if you watch the prequel series or read the comic books. Darth Maul doesn’t actually die until a little before A New Hope in the star wars universe.

I get the timeline, my problem is (spoilers):

Darth Maul was basically a henchman in Phantom Menace, not a villain in his own right. I maintain it was a silly twist for him to show up alive again, especially in a movie where his presence makes no sense for anyone who hadn’t been following multiple seasons of a prequel cartoon series.

It’s like if Oddjob from Goldfinger suddenly showed up—inexplicably alive and apparently pulling the strings—at the end of a spinoff movie about the adventures of Moneypenny.

Well… to be fair. They said they were making a movie about Darth Maul and another one about Boba Fett. Maybe it’s an introduction.

I hadn’t heard Maul was getting his own movie. I guess they are just handing out spinoffs to any secondary character with next to no dialogue as long as they make for a cool action figure.

He was a cool character in Star Wars Rebels.

1 Like

I’ll take your word for it. I just figured the movies shouldn’t assume everybody has been following the Expanded Universe like it was some kind of homework assignment.

Did they ever explain how he survived being bisected through several major organs just before falling down an exceptionally deep shaft? I mean, he wasn’t even on a planet where anyone would have exactly felt an overwhelming duty to rush him to an ER even if he landed on a big pile of pillows and bactine…

1 Like

They replaced half his body with robotics. Eventually near the end of Rebels, Maul begs Obi Wan to end his life and Obi Wan does it on Tatooine as an act of mercy.

^ Darth Maul dies.

^ (Forgot about this, Darth Maul’s brother meets him) i.e. Savage meets Darth Maul for the first time. Then he gets rebuilt with robotics by the nightsisters.

^ Nightsister body shop lol.

If only…
https://www.google.com/amp/s/entertainment.theonion.com/new-star-wars-film-once-again-disappoints-die-hard-ni-1821291309/amp

But seriously, it is cool that they tracked down the original Kenyan voice actor for Nien Nunb to do work in The Force Awakens as well as a recently-announced cameo in the one of the Star Wars rides currently under construction.

2 Likes

Pose

So far, I’m digging it.

But it’s a Ryan Murphy endeavor, so I am wee bit wary; he often gets way more caught up in the style of his stories than in the actual substance… and this is a subject where the substance is so very important.

2 Likes

Cybercrime, 1960ies style.

Don’t look too close at the computer stuff - but the social engineering is spot on.

1 Like

Demolition Man is on Hulu, and my son bought a subscription. People keep telling me I need to watch it, so I’m going to see if I can fit it in (somehow).

Edit: Best Stallone movie ever!

1 Like

I just watched the season 3 episode of The Expanse where one of the principal antagonists realizes their sinister plan has gone too far now that it involves kidnapping and tormenting innocent children.

Again we find ourselves living in a reality where our political leaders lack the moral fortitude of a cartoonishly evil TV villain.

6 Likes

Bojack Horseman season 5 is out, and I might have inadvertently marathoned the whole thing overnight last night. It’s great as always, but it’s also a show I continue to have trouble recommending to other people, because hooooooo boy, it can be a content/trigger warning bonanza. This season really goes all in on #MeToo, our society’s habit of regularly rehabilitating shitty people who haven’t done anything to earn it, and even a bit of meta self-reflection on how media may inadvertently glamorize and provide cover for shitty people doing shitty things.

7 Likes

After I watched the first three seasons I couldn’t keep going. I like the show so much, but oof that just felt like getting kicked in the heart

Yeah, the season 3 finale was a massive punch in the gut, so I totally get that. I very nearly bailed last season because the “Bojack tries to take care of his emotionally abusive mother in his own house while she gradually slides into total dementia” arc was… well, it was either uncannily timed or very poorly timed on a personal level, depending on how you want to look at it. Woof that was rough.

3 Likes

BBC .com says there’s going to be a 5th season of Luther.

7 Likes