Whatcha Watchin' (Season 2)

They had it, they removed it. There used to be 5 stars and a “Never Show Me This Again” button, which I would apply liberally to procedurally generated kids shows, mock-busters and alt-right “documentaries”. Then they dropped that for thumbs up/down, then finally just thumbs up, and now is it anything? I forget.

Prime Video (at least in the app) doesn’t let you rate this either. And now I get ads before every show in Prime Video – only a matter of time before Netflix follows suit. “We know what you want, little 99%ing non-winner, now shut up and eat whatever we decide to shove in your mouth.”

2 Likes

Another limited series I’ve just finished watching – 8 one-hour episodes, dense enough that you have to watch without multitasking – and can heartily recommend is “Black Earth Rising”:

4 Likes

Seasons 1 & 2

4 Likes

Those were the best ones.

But as a geek, I love Danny John-Jules best.

4 Likes

FYI :

Rock climber Alex Honnold takes on Yosemite’s daunting El Capitan in the Oscar-winning 2018 documentary “Free Solo.” Tonight, March 3rd, 9 p.m. National Geographic Channel.

4 Likes

Superb film and worth seeing on a big screen if you can stomach it, there are many palm sweating moments and as someone who does a bit of climbing bits where i’m thinking…

giphy

2 Likes

It sure does! So does The Deuce. Also trying out 11.22.63, Counterpart, and Future Man. Legion I had to put down for a while. It’s so heady, but I figure I’ll revisit it soon. Maybe that’s why I found The Eric Andre Show’s juvenile humor so funny this morning.

Does anyone have anything to say about this season of True Detective? I loved the story, but felt a little blindsided by the anti-climax.

Anyone using VPN for watching Netflix from Qatar? We have kinda troubled situation here, so I’m currently lurking for a service to use mostly commercial version. I’m aiming at this vpns for Qatar list of services, but maybe there are more options?

I was not blindsided per se.

I had the sense that there was wayyyy too many loose threads without clues as to how they fit together for it to be the sort of ending you would expect.

I finished the finale last night. Still mulling it over, and the shot of Mahershela walking into the jungle to the tune of “St. James Infirmary” really stuck with me.

3 Likes

Yeah, I kind of took it as a metaphor for his increasing dementia, especially how Roland describes how Wayne would lose himself in the jungle for days at a time while he was serving.

I’ve really enjoyed all three seasons, but in retrospect, it does seem fitting that the conclusion of this season is the way it is.

1 Like

I’d agree, it does feel like a fitting end to a very troubling investigation with no easy answers - to me, that moment of lucidity he had when drinking the water shows he knew who she was but chose to leave her in peace. The last shot stayed with me as well and could be interpreted a number of ways - his dwindling memories leaving him with that or the metaphor as you say. But i suppose what i really got out of it was the relationship between him and roland over several decades and mahershala ali was superb obviously but stephen dorff was a revelation in this and easily matched him.

3 Likes

I thought the contrast between the two detectives might have been intended to show us the difference in their life trajectories. One embraced vulnerability as a “Manly Man” and lived a full life with love and family, and the other did not.

2 Likes

And in the past timelines it seemed like roland would end up the family man and wayne would be the loner obsessed with one case, in the end they ended up where they needed to be i suppose. At least roland found companionship in his stray dogs.

2 Likes

Binged this the past few days. I enjoyed it.

1 Like

Darn it!

Netflix is not renewing either One Day at a Time OR Jessica Jones. What do they have against strong women protagonists?

2 Likes

I would be happy if there never was a next season. The uncertain ending is good. The suggestion that somehow they merged, or didn’t merge, but that the loop is now broken. They can now live their lives and move on. Instead, it would be neat to see what other ideas Natasha Lyonne has rather than sticking to this story.

As far as Jessica Jones goes, I think that was a victim of the Marvel Purge, the Disney decision to no longer let Netflix make stuff using their characters.

Oh, OK, that makes sense at least. Thanks!

1 Like

I’d be happy with whatever Natashe Lyonne decides to share with us… she’s fantastic.

nicki-so-post-mod

5 Likes