Whatcha Watchin' (Season 2)

I don’t know. It might be a good premise for an action movie but in real life those poacher hunters give me the creeps, especially if they are American or European. There’s a lot of colonialism bound up into these militaristic white people coming in and harming people exploiting their own natural resources. Which is not to say poaching is in any way OK, but there must be other solutions to the problem than guns.

Well the guys I read about were local and not white.

ETA Obviously there are systemic inequalities that lead to poaching. It is nonetheless reprehensible

2 Likes

I would love to see something like “A Taxing Woman” but taking on American Billionaires!

2 Likes

What I liked more about Leverage and Hustle was what motivated the team or led them to choose their marks. Some shows seem to lean more toward law enforcement, though. I’ve never watched White Collar or Burn Notice, but had family members who enjoyed both.

3 Likes

I liked both of those shows okay. I never finished White Collar, as it seemed to get a bit too soap-opera like in the later seasons, but the early ones were fun and tricky.

2 Likes

John Rogers, co-creator and showrunner of Leverage, has been fantastic reading the last few years. He immersed himself deeply in the art of cons and grift and he’s pointing out all the little ways that the entire trump presidency has been a con from the beginning. He hasn’t updated his blog in several years (seems to have shifted entirely to Twitter) but scrolling back he has some incredible takes on both TV production and true crime.

4 Likes

I loved the show for what it’s worth and am super excited for the next season.

2 Likes

The last thing I watched was The Queen’s Gambit. I liked it, it’s worth watching.

2 Likes

Thank goodness for YouTube. Just finishing the first season today. Utopia is wild! I can’t help worrying about Grant and Alice every time I see how Jessica and Arby behave. :grimacing:

3 Likes

Introduced my eldest to Columbo, by a long-winded journey that started with us watching an old MST3K episode and then via an IMDB-fuelled rabbit hole.

A few shambolic observations:

• the colour (and film cast) was fucking gorgeous, like Technicolor but better;
  • the cast was amazing (Ray Milland! Richard Baseheart! Honor Blackman!)
  • Peter Falk was much younger than I remembered, but that’s probably because of Princess Bride.
10 Likes

Finished Utopia last night (the BBC version). Gah, that ending was bleak! All of the sci-fi shows and movies in my queue seem to have depressing themes. Gotta watch more comedy for a while, like Norsemen and Derry Girls.

6 Likes

Columbo ran for so long that Peter Falk is probably both younger and older than you remember

10 Likes

I have no intention of watching the remake because I watched the original when it was originally on and all I remember of it is it being bleak.

2 Likes

derry-girls-fake-laugh

4 Likes

I saw the beginning of a review for the Amazon version. Basically, he said any hopes that it would be an improvement (from following who was behind the production) were quickly dashed during the first episode. Remakes of British shows in the US don’t tend to do well. I’ve never seen the US versions of Coupling, Being Human, or Broadchurch because I enjoyed the originals.

It’s a shame companies are making it more difficult to watch shows without a subscription. Even PBS is pushing members in that direction, limiting content by region. So, watching Glenda Jackson in Elizabeth is Missing, Tchéky Karyo in Baptiste, and Marc Warren in Van der Valk might have to wait until next year.

3 Likes

We have started rewatching both Fringe and BSG. A couple of episodes of each, then switch over again. Some things really are better on a screen nearly the size of my first apartment.

4 Likes

I’ve been thinking about rewatching Fringe. Even thinking about it always reminds me of this:

7 Likes

Watching The Crown while Irish is…

ETA

A bunch of Irish politicians were tweeting today about the murder of Mountbatten. I mean not the most blameless man on the planet (India) and a child trafficking paedophile to boot. Al Johnson’s government are sitting on the report on the Kincora school as a favour to the DUP for Brexit. I doubt they’ll discuss the paedophiles and rapists in Thatcher’s cabinet either, or her honours lists.

4 Likes

I am slowly incorporating more and more of this place into a unified AV and lighting experience, and my partner’s favorite place to hang out at night is in the garden tub in an altered state or two. So you could say that Walter Bishop is kind of our spirit animal around here, even though, much to some peoples’ surprise, we don’t even have a cow.

5 Likes

With compliments to you and your partner, may the quest for the perfect strawberry milkshake never end!

3 Likes