Whatcha Watchin' (Season 2)

You make me glad I quit watching that show at S4, when it started to bore me.

2 Likes

Just started third season of the Handmaid’s tale… I was real happy to see Emily get out of Gilead with Nichole/Holly, and then meet up with Luke and Moira…. However, it seems to me that they sort of undid all the world building they were doing around Gilead by seeming to have very mild consequences for June after she got the baby out and then the situation with Serena burnign down the house. I mean after all the trouble she caused the Waterfords and how she was clearly going to get Hannah out, how come they are just letting her on to the next posting, when Emily and Janine got much worse for less infractions earlier in the show. I’m also wondering how Professor Lawrence is getting away with all the shit he’s getting away with, as they’ve shown that there are even limits for Commanders on their behavior. And she was horrible, but I’m going to miss Aunt Lydia - unless she somehow survived the attack by Emily, but if so, don’t tell me. But Ann Dowd was great in the role. So, I’m thinking with that uneven start, season 3 isn’t going to be as good as season 1 & 2…

Also started the new Season of Disenchantment, and so far, it’s great.

1 Like

I thought exactly that, it was such a Poochie moment that i found it unintentionally amusing - throw some CG blood on the freeze frame, nobody will ever know!

I haven’t read the books but the Barkeith basically got eaten by whatever killed the ring builders, right? I loved Naomi’s rescue, having the camera just focus on her while Bobbie saved her was super effective in its tension. Though her whole storyline on the Chetzemoka was satisfying because they didn’t feel the need to bloody explain everything for the audience, just let the story play out.

Having just watched episode 6 of Japan Sinks has left me in quite some emotional turmoil and i would say don’t watch it if you get attached to characters. :cry:

4 Likes

KInda sorta… it was actually the beings that KILLED the ring builders, so even a bigger threat.

4 Likes

Right, that’s what i thought so why now? I guess opening the gates sent up a signal flare and they’ve come back for some more tasty chow!

2 Likes

Part of the story in the next novel is figuring out why some ships get eaten and some don’t.

3 Likes

Decent post-apocalyptic survival story, in Denmark this time

2 Likes

Well, that’s a few hours I will never get back…

God is the Old Testament one, the Devil is basically a whiny Johnny Bravo without any character or personality, and not even nuclear explosions are very exciting. Whoopi gets probably 10 total minutes screen time in the whole damn thing, the best characters are rarely seen and the ones they focus most on just die out of nowhere.

There are very very few things, even bad things, that I can say if I had it to do over I wouldn’t have bothered watching it. Even poorly made things are experiences I wouldn’t take back. This? I dunno.

3 Likes

I think I need to see this…

It’s a martial arts film from Ireland that came out in 1998.

4 Likes

So fucking sad.

2 Likes

That looks really good but…

I still haven’t recovered from the beach scene in Longtime Companion for which I was a projectionist in a small art house in 1989. It’s really tough to set up the reel for the next showing when blinded by tears.

3 Likes

I’m not familiar with that one but yeah, you get the gist of it. Reading the synopsis seems to suggest parallels to It’s a Sin, namely in the sweeping under the carpet in which it was treated and the euphemism in this case of “boys going home” never to be seen or spoken of again.

1 Like

Yes similar story line putting the viewer in this position of hearing about this before it was understood or even known if it was real.

The beach scene is sort of a post movie scene. I forget how the scene begins but one (or maybe a couple survivors I forget) walk down to the beach. They see one of their friends that died. He looks healthy and is well dressed. Then another and another. It’s like the best beach brunch ever. Everyone is laughing and hugging and talking about good times. Eventually the beach is full of hundreds of friends and family and lovers. If I recall correctly the main surviving character hears a voice from behind. He spins around mid-laugh and the beach is empty. He’s alone. They are all dead. The scale of the loss is a sledge hammer to the gut.

ETA
I might have upped the number of people but close description for something I haven’t seen in 30ish years.

3 Likes

I was just watching that, i had to check it out and now i need some light relief with WandaVision.

1 Like

I’m sitting in a (non-video) remote meeting with big tears while co-workers discuss data formats.

Wanda sounds like just what I need after this meeting over.

3 Likes

Looks like that last episode’s cameo just confirmed that Wandavision is going to be the vehicle that integrates the MCU and X-Men movie franchises into a single narrative universe.

4 Likes

I’m watching JuJutsu Kaisen now. Fun monster design. Sweet fighting choreography. A bit of heart and a bit of comedy.

2 Likes

It would make sense given that the next Doctor Strange film is gonna have seemingly everyone from the Spider verse in it and who knows who else. Great surprise though and the episode as a whole which threw up so many balls in the air. It does appear that Wanda is not fully in control here and the theory I read that she’s animating Vision’s corpse seems accurate and is all kinds of disturbing. Not to mention the clues pointing to who Monica Rambeau is going to be.

2 Likes

Finally got around to watching Uncut Gems… What a great movie!

5 Likes

Just started watching Firefly Lane. It’s been a while, but I remember really liking the book and sequel.
I hate it when book adaptations change huge, foundational parts of the plot for no apparent reason, so not loving it so far. It’s still an okay story, but just make your own show, don’t pretend to be this other thing.
So far, kind of reminding me of the way “Time Travelers Wife” flipped the basic point.