Whatcha Watchin' (Season 2)

One hopes he’s spinning in his grave, the racist asshole.

7 Likes

Oops! Meant to put my comment about Behind Her Eyes here:

I finished it last night, and the big twist made a hard turn into trope territory. It looks like it was written by a person who really doesn’t understand why the denouement would be doomed to fail. People, their cultures, and their relationships are complex and take years to develop.

Creating a main character of a different race and showing no relationships with people of a similar background except a child and an ex isn’t enough. I cannot help thinking of the many plot points that would have changed if they’d been flipped. When Louise broke into the house, both times I expected someone to call the police before she got inside.* Would the switch be expected to work if Louise had been from India or China? Maybe it was the drugs that led a white guy from Glasgow to believe he could carry this off in the long term. I would’ve felt better to see that emphasized, along with more missteps to show Rob he was going to have to try again with someone new.

I would love to see another limited series where the world teaches Rob a few lessons. First, he’d find out the hard way that a Black woman with money is still a Black woman. Second, he’d learn that people from minority cultures tend to know far more about the majority than members of the majority realize - but that the reverse is rarely true. Finally, he’d learn that finding a new victim using his current guise would be a lot more difficult than his first two experiences.

*A Black woman, obviously & noisily breaking into a big house in a nice neighborhood, and nobody noticed? :roll_eyes: Since this was set in the UK, I thought she’d wind up in jail. If it has been in the US, the expected outcome would’ve been much worse.

4 Likes

Wrapped up the third season of the Handmaid’s Tale. I have to say, first, having the Waterfords arrested thanks to Serena turning Fred over in exchange for getting to see Nichole and get immunity was very satisfying. But then, Fred turning on Serena about her getting June to sleep with Nick to make a baby was even fucking better. Serena’s insistence that Nichole is her child and she’s entitled to her is really just batshit. She has literally no biological ties to the child, and whatever Gilead law is, why the hell should that apply to the child of someone who did not want to be a citizen of Gilead!!! And then June engineering getting over 50 kids with a few marthas out was also very satisfying. The look of disappointment on Luke’s face when the plane empties out and there is no Hannah was really heart breaking. But now Rita is out! YAY!

But the season 4 trailer is out and looks like it’s going to be exciting!

3 Likes

That IS genius casting

1 Like

If anybody has been waiting for a reboot of Fringe … this is that

6 Likes

Crap, I still haven’t finished watching Fringe yet!

2 Likes

Thanks for the warning. :grimacing:

4 Likes

If you’ve seen the first two seasons, those are the good ones

1 Like

Right.

6 Likes

Low-budget variation on Groundhog Day, Russian Doll, etc.

The arcade high scores scene in Stranger Things reminded me of this flick:

Was surprised it was available on Tubi TV, and it’s funny to watch a film from that year after all the Netflix show flashbacks.

5 Likes

I remember watching that one on cable, when I was like 12.

Cheesy, but not nearly as terrible as so many other films from that era…

4 Likes

The glaring difference is in the accents. That film was definitely a reflection of California culture with Valley speak sprinkled through the dialogue.

4 Likes

I was until you suggested it! We rewatched Fringe during lockdown n+1 and had to carefully ration out the last season to make it last.

3 Likes

Yesterday, I watched Skin on Amazon. It’s a film based on the life of Sandra Laing:

5 Likes

And in your estimation it was … ?

3 Likes

An excellent film. It was heartbreaking to watch what that woman went through at different stages of her life. The problems caused by racism built into the law and how it affected her family and relationships was terrible. That was on top of the societal racism in South Africa. The laws changed multiple times, which sometimes worked for her (but mostly against her).

The impact on her parents and siblings, and their reactions were jaw-dropping. I kept having to remind myself of the time period, and the locations (more than one country was involved). We’d like to think that all of these events and restrictions (that not only came from racism, but also from patriarchy) would be handled much better now. However, we only have to watch the news* to see how far we still have to go.

*I did wonder, given the release date of this film, if Amazon recommended it because of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex.

9 Likes

I cannot stop watching dix pour cent (ugh, why did they have to call it “Call My Agent!” in English?) on Netflix. I am quickly running out of episodes left and I am afraid that I will cry when I have run out of French goodness to watch.

2 Likes

Just did a rewatch of Satoshi Kon’s Paranoia Agent, which was just as weird as I remember. I’m glad it’s on DVD domestically finally.

paranoia-agent-maromi

3 Likes

I’m not usually a fan of the CW superhero shows but this is better than I expected

1 Like