Whatcha Watchin' (Season 2)

Loving Everything’s gonna be okay.

I’ve been watching the Kate Winslet vehicle Mare of Easttown. She’s great, and the ending of the second episode was like, Wuuhh?! :eyes:

Don’t like how HBO doles out weekly episodes, though.
I mean c’mon, it’s not the 1970s anymore!

13 Likes

I told myself not to watch this series, but my husband wanted to watch it and I got hooked at the end of episode one.

I was very surprised by the father’s shooting of the baby’s “father” because I got the feeling that she was subjected to abuse by her father. Makes me think there’s something more between the two characters. I also wonder where the Guy Pierce character fits in.

I agree with you that Kate Winslet is excellent in this.

2 Likes

Edit: warning warning, humanoids! The blur function didn’t work for some reason here. . .

Yeah, I wondered about the father but then I figured he’s probably just that much of a loose cannon. He probably abused his daughter, but also loved her.

The writer dude is interesting! Seems like a nice guy, and maybe a good catch for Mare, but his behavior at the book event is a red flag. I think he’s also being set up for us as another suspect, at least for the second murder. Not sure he was in town already for the first.

Plot’s getting thick real quick. I wonder how Mare is going to react to the accusation against her ex. Ugh!

3 Likes

Edit: warning warning, humanoids! The blur function didn’t work for some reason here. . .

Yeah, I wondered that
about the father but then I figured he’s probably just that much of a loose cannon. He probably abused his daughter, but also loved her.

The writer dude is interesting! Seems like a nice guy, and maybe a good catch for Mare, but his behavior at the book event is a red flag. I think he’s also being set up for us as another suspect, at least for the second murder. Not sure he was in town already for the first.

Plot’s getting thick real quick. I wonder how Mare is going to react to the accusation against her ex. Ugh!

your line breaks messed up your tags. you need to close it, then break, open, close, return, repeat.
hope this helps! :blush:

edit to be topical: currently loving this show also and agree, it escalated quickly!

2 Likes

That did the trick, thanks!

3 Likes
2 Likes

Will watch. I will watch her in anything I think. Though right now I’m enjoying another break from serial drama for books, music, and films only. TV seems to eat everything else

2 Likes

Thank you! That’s great news.

2 Likes

How is it? I haven’t watched it yet, but I did enjoy the original book (tho only read the first 20 or so issues)

1 Like

I just checked out the first two eps, and I’m thoroughly engaged.

(Can’t stand that one suspect’s entire family; what a bunch of dumb, sociopathic assholes.)

1 Like

It is nice and fun.Only the violence annoyed me.

Hmmm I seem to recall from the books the violence is part of the point.

2 Likes

IMHO It didn’t need to be só graphic. I think it is there just for the shock value. Again, the cartoon is good, but the violence isn’t my cup of tea.

1 Like

On Amazon:

On Netflix:

1 Like

What are you thinking of Yasuke so far?

2 Likes

Two episodes in, and I was taken aback by the tech in it. I could understand mystical elements, but the rest is a bit superfluous. Maybe there’s a point that hasn’t been explained yet. I’ll probably read this after watching the entire season, to avoid spoilers:

2 Likes

Is Whedon too problematic now to watch The Nevers?

Off topic of the thread, but I struggle with this idea all the time (not The Nevers, haven’t seen it), but when and how does it feel okay to separate the art from the artist, and appreciate the former even if the latter turned out to be a garbage person?
I’ve landed on, if I can appreciate the art without promoting or enriching the garbage person, I feel okay about it. Other friends I’ve talked it over with are way more hard line about never watching anything by someone who’s turned out to be “bad,” for lack of a better term.
Don’t mean to derail this topic, but if others are interested in discussing, maybe we could create a separate thread.

7 Likes

From what I understand, Whedon stopped being involved with the Nevers shortly into production.

Personally, I can watch the show and still recognize that Whedon is an asshole.

8 Likes